Presidential Coins: How to get miles for free

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by aviators99, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does take some work...

You can go to http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...1&parent_category_rn=16238&top_category=16238

There you can buy US Dollar Coins at face value, on your credit card, with free shipping. You must order $500 worth for the shipping to be free. Even so, it will show $4.95 shipping charges until you get to the very last confirmation page.

Since you can buy these on your credit card, you can get miles for them. You can then spend as cash wherever you want, and even deposit them right into your bank (although some banks really hate this).

Feel free to post about your experiences with this, or if you have any questions about it. There are even ways to get additional cash back, to make the deal even sweeter. Please post about all of these techniques, as well.

Personally, I really enjoy spending at least some of these. Some merchants really like receiving them, and give them to their kids, grandkids, etc. They are great for tolls, vending machines, various tips, etc.

2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just planning on starting this thread myself.

This might be better with links to the FT, SD or FW threads. Then we can skip the debate here.

jbcarioca and Puggie like this.
  3. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think one of the points of this site is to "skip the debate" everywhere. I don't read SD nor FW, but I can tell you that the FT thread is full of debate, and I wouldn't want to be sent over there. My idea is to have this thread be a place devoid of debate, but full of useful information! :)

4. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Why would that be better? Discuss.

Just kidding. It would be wonderful to have just useful info here, and not have to wade through 800 posts to find some info. So, in the interest of contributing something useful, it appears that one can sneak by the $1000 per 10 day period restriction by using a different CC and email.

5. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also believe people have been using Citi virtual cards to generate new card numbers for each order. Does that still work?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been doing the coins for about a year now. Great for establishing spend on new CCs. Also great on my favorite hotel-related credit card to earn points that can keep me in free hotel nights for several nights per year! [​IMG]

jbcarioca, MrsBobSgt and Puggie like this.
  7. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    And this is a good reason for a Wiki type first post. Perhaps one that appears at the top of every 'page of posts'

MrsBobSgt and y2kdread like this.
  8. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. That's a great idea.

MrsBobSgt and aitchly like this.
  9. Yup, and Discover, too!

And FYI: The Mint only seems to count credit cards when applying the "10 days between purchases" rule... not any other qualifiers.

jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  10. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh so i can use same email?

jbcarioca and savydog like this.
  11. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Can one use the same account and not have to rotate between a dozen or so accounts?

savydog likes this.
  12. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are we really going to have this thread here too?

jbcarioca, Toula, 4Health and 2 others like this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We're working on integrating Wiki and some other, brand-new technical elements to assist with finding information. I don't anticipate we'll see these within the next week or two, but trust that it is on the development list once we're out of beta.

We will probably have a lot of threads/info on milepoint that may be available elsewhere on the internet. Our goal is to find a better way to catalog such information to assist a broader group of people. We appreciate your support in helping build great content as we work on ways to organize the data.

14. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we please retitle this? Make it at least a little bit less obvious what's going on?

jbcarioca and Tim O'Brien like this.
  15. aviators99
    Original Member

aviators99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The point was to make it obvious.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh well never mind then.

/me hurry's up and orders my last few rounds of coins before this site blows up and all the lurkers even further blow this deal up.

MrsBobSgt and Tim O'Brien like this.
  17. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the trouble makers won't get on this thread, as least they won't be recognized.

18. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha!

19. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that they are already here.

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Let's try to keep the discussion headed in the right direction. Respectful discussion and debate about the program are the goal.

21. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and the same account. Though many find it easier to create multiple accounts, one per credit card, so that they don't have to change credit/billing/shipping info on each order.

During Pickle's presentation at the Chicago DO <edit> (FT), he mentioned that he has accounts like

mrpickles1
    mrpickles2
    etc

for all the virtual cc's.

Hopefully he doesn't mind me posting that information here. (drop me a message if you do).

monster and Mike1625 like this.
  22. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me share an interesting data point that may help some of you. I live in a condo with no main office but we do have locked mailboxes.

If I order the coins in 1 box of $250 increments, the mint sends them via postal mail, which ends up in my locked mailbox.

If I order the coins 2 or more boxes, they come via UPS with signature required. My wife and I both work, so I get a notice on my door, which means driving about 7 miles to the UPS pickup office.

For some people lots of small orders may be more effective than bigger orders.

I never had a missing box via UPS, twice the post office lost boxes, both times the mint was good about making things right.

23. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I guess this thread will be a test of our new, love-all-serve-all format.

The FT thread on this subject is Exhibit A for the very worst of message boards. My recommendation is that the best practices info be posted here and then this thread locked. The program is what it is and hasn't changed much. Daily status updates and vanity posts will only add clutter and static.

24. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree, and add to the difficulty of newcomers to figure anything out. The FT and FW mint threads are soo long and convulted its impossible to follow.

(I've followed both daily for well over a year).

MrsBobSgt, mrpickles and dayone like this.
  25. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    It takes alot of $250 orders to get a free flight.

jbcarioca likes this.