Prepaid rate - can someone else stay in my room?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by DebraI, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone.

I rarely ever book a prepaid rate, because I'm always worried that my plans will change. I decided with just a week to go until my stay that I'd book the prepaid at a Crowne Plaza for next weekend. Well, guess what? Life got in the way and now I have to cancel the trip.

I'm wondering if I put my friend on my reservation under the 'add a guest' option, will she be able to stay in the hotel? Or do they need the credit card that the room was purchased with? If anyone has a tip or had gone through this experience, I'd love the feedback.

Thanks,
    Deb

Sweet Willie and Travelsavant like this.
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    you can try, it has worked for me before, at least you will get the points :)

I used to book all stays prepaid but I too had a schedule problem and missed a prepaid 3 night stay at IC Doha, this wiped out any savings made using pre-paid and I rarely pre-pay now.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had success.

Travelsavant likes this.
  4. When you note on the res that the other person is staying with you it should be no problem. you can also call the hotel beofre your friend checks in and say they will be arriving before you. Typically they will ask him/her for a CC to make sure and to cover off misc. charges.

DJP_707 and Travelsavant like this.
  5. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. I'll give it a try. If my friend gets a night away from home out of it, then at least it won't be a total waste. And if I end up getting the points, well that's icing on the cake. :)

Sweet Willie and Travelsavant like this.
  6. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it before too & not had a problem as long as friend is on the rez & you call ahead.

DebraI likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes
    no they don't need original booking CC, just one at time of checkin for incidentals
    Plenty of experience & not just with IHG. Usually my wife arrives well before I do, I've also had numerous stays with other family members who do not have same last name. As long as that person is the authorized 2nd guest. If I did not have the 2nd guest in the original booking, I'll make sure it gets added but also contact property to make sure they put it in the notes as well.(latter is probably not necessary but I'd rather manage expectations upfront, rather at time of need).

DebraI, tondoleo and tommy777 like this.
  8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This advice is exactly how I've done the same thing before, with no problems.

DebraI likes this.
  9. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, tonight's the night. So I guess we'll see how it goes. It will be awesome if it works, as that will be a Saturday night in the Big Win as well. I'd rather be there myself, but my sister getting a night in a nice hotel near her house will be nearly as good.

Sweet Willie and DJP_707 like this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck, I'm sure it will work out.

DebraI likes this.
  11. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worked great. Thanks everyone for your help. And that also helped me complete the saturday night, and the third brand in the big giveaway. Woohoo! We may end up doing this again now because it's a hell of a lot of cheaper to get mattress run worthy hotel prices down where she is than up here in Edmonton. :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  12. I'm in YYC this weekend and most of the IC hotels around the airport all had great rates, some as low as $100.

DebraI and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a great rate. In YEG, it usually hovers around 125/130.