Premium Voyageur - experiences and opinions?

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by Andy, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Andy
    Original Member

Andy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying Air France for the first time this weekend, ORD - CDG - LHR, in Premium Economy. Does anyone have any recommendations for seat selection? Seatguru and Seatexpert haven't been updated to reflect Premium Economy class yet.

Any other thoughts on what I should expect from the new seats / class of service?

Thanks!

2. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew PV LAX-CDG last year and was not very impressed. Comparing to SK Economy extra I found SK better in all aspects (though some disagree). The SK seats were more comfortable and food & service better.

We sat at the bulkhead but I believe non-bulkhead is better as they feature proper footrests. Though the cabin is curtained off it is not very private as the lavatories for Y is there and to get to the mid-flight buffet you have to walk back to the Y-cabin.

I would perhaps pay extra for it on night-flights but on a daytime flight I am almost as comfortable in a normal Y-seat.

3. Andy
    Original Member

Andy Silver Member

Status Points:

Great info, thanks. I had Delta move me to a non-bulkhead row. Incredibly, this flight was about $600 cheaper than the Delta flight in Y. I have an extra layover, but the actual time to destination is about the same.

4. Andy
    Original Member

Andy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts on AF in Premium Voyageur now that I'm home.

Outbound flight departed from Chicago. Used the AF lounge due to Delta PM status (not sure if PV would be allowed to use the lounge or not), and boarding directly from the lounge is awesome.

The extra space over coach is very nice, particularly because this fare was cheaper than coach on Delta (had one short, extra hop to make in CDG though).

I did NOT sleep well in the seat. It seems to me that it was much harder than other seats I've been on, or I'm just getting old. However, I really appreciated the extra space on the way home when I was awake for most of the flight. Decent AVOD selection, and I LOVE power ports.

Catering was much better than on US carriers. Except for breakfast. Who serves PLAIN yogurt? With nothing else to mix into it. Nasty stuff. And the blueberry muffin had exactly 1 blueberry in it.

Service was cold on the way out, very friendly and cordial on the way back.

Given the choice, I'd rather connect just about anywhere other than CDG, but the flights arrived and departed on time.

All in all, I'd probably fly in PV again if I can make the scheduling (and pricing work). I think I'd have a tough time paying a significant premium for it though.