Premium Economy on the 777-300ER

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by ThatJohn, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right, well, now that I've sorted all the photos for the day job, here are the rest for your enjoyment.

As it turned out, I ran into kiwi and others who will remain nameless on the walkaround at WLG, so it was pretty interesting to see what everyone else was saying about it. "What the hell, this is tiny, how do they expect me to sit in this seat" seemed to be the crux of it, really.

For me, I am just stunned that they decided on this maddening pitch. I know I'm shaped more for opera than for speed, but seriously, there is no way that I could open the tray table fully, let alone a laptop.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently I'm supposed to be able to fit my legs under that middle section for nibbles and a game of Scrabble. Perhaps if I cut off my legs.

[​IMG]

No, really. CUT OFF MY LEGS.

[​IMG]

I guess that would also help with not knocking my knees against the seat in front. Hey, aren't my shoes awesome? I love these boots something hardcore.

[​IMG]

The thing I love most about flying is the view. Oh, wait, never mind.

wombat18, yaffa and kiwi like this.
  2. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

The full cabin. I had heard that there were a couple of extra inches in AB compared with JK, but I didn't feel it.

[​IMG]

JK seats.

[​IMG]

Mood lighting. I'm in the mood! To be cramped.

[​IMG]

Definitely avoid the seats next to the loos. Recipe for all-night waking, even with the funny privacy screen business.

[​IMG]

Bonus amenity kit shot.

kiwi likes this.
  3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see that Australian Business Traveller had something to say about these seats. It now looks very familiar! ;)

(And about business and economy.)

ThatJohn likes this.
  4. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Front pairs are decent seats. Shame about the other 44 seats in the cabin.

[​IMG]

If I wasn't such a window fan I would love the centre pair.

[​IMG]

Window pair side compartments for wallets etc.

[​IMG]

Centre pair compartment for wallets etc. Does this win "most pedantic photographed difference"?

[​IMG]

All seats have 110v universal power sockets (including UK plugs), USB chargers and funny charging-and-video-out sockets for playing video on the IFE. The dongle is available for purchase on board.

Junca and kiwi like this.
  5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics. No mention of the beanbag footrest which is also supposed to fit in the tiny hole in the seat in front?

The window seats have the most room but unless you have a patient seatmate you are stuck there, and it is rather claustrophobic.

Outer aisle seats are simply dreadful. I'd go further than ThatJohn and say opening the tray table is difficult if large.

Do not sit in any aisle seat until boarding is almost complete. The aisle is so narrow you are bound to be clobbered by passengers' bags as they walk past. Extra dangerous on flights from USA.

23 B & J have the most legroom by far, but are also bassinet positions.

FWIW here are my full comments on new NZ 77W posted elsewhere.

Flyer1976, Junca and ThatJohn like this.
  6. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

What they don't tell you is that the footrest beanbags are actually glittery purple ottomans. I have been outgayed by a plane :(

[​IMG]

Actual knee room for a 6'2" bloke with fabulous shoes. (Very little legroom. Very fabulous shoes.)

[​IMG]

I know that I am built for opera and not for speed, but the knee room is ridiculous. Is this really the best PE arrangement possible?

[​IMG]

The window seat is the best option, although you'd better hope that the aisle person is awake and doesn't mind you getting out of your seat over them.

[​IMG]

World's most useless armrest ever? Yes or yes?

Junca likes this.
  7. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dobby is sorry but Dobby cannot type so fast! Dobby is slamming his fingers shut in the laptop now :p

Agreed. Plus, no chance of climbing over whatever.

Quite. I realise that I am of Wagnerian proportions, but still. Even a tiny person would have difficulty using a laptop.[/quote]

Agreed a thousand times. On the plus side, you could stand and look backwards and laugh as people try to roll their wheeliebags in Y.

In fact, the NZ seatmap shows a cluster of six bassinets at the back of BP and the front of PE. WAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Yeah, I agree with just about all of that. I would probably snag 23A and K travelling solo, even with potential baby. In a pair, any window pair halfway down the cabin in JK.

...incidentally, how are PE passengers in aisle R expected to get to the PE loos in aisle L? Pole vault? Crushing the babies in 23DE underfoot? Sneaky dash up to BP? Slumming it with Y? Enquiring minds want to know...[/quote][/quote]

8. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fancy that! ;) That particular writer is excellent, I must say...

Globaliser likes this.
  9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there a galley behind PE?

10. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is, but my shot of the loo above had made me think that the galley curtain extended in front of the loo. The seat map (and other pics in the flickr set) show that PE can go all the way back and round for a PEE. ;)

11. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

Does your torso fit in six inches? No? Mine neither.

[​IMG]

I mean, I seriously don't see how even a mildly plump person is supposed to fit in there. And this flies to the USA?

[​IMG]

For the LOVE OF GOD, do not pull the tilt lever. It is the most uncomfortable thing ever. And it took someone from NZ coming over and fetching my tilt lever a smart rap on the mechanism (I swear that wasn't supposed to sound that filthy) to get it out of tilt mode.

[​IMG]

Click through for some bumph.

[​IMG]

I swear that woman on top there HAS NO LEGS. Or she is under five feet tall.

(Did anyone else on the walkaround notice that all the demonstrators were remarkably short, apart from that rather attractive cabin crew chap from the Rico safety video?)

thewinchester, Junca and yaffa like this.
  12. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and that's it! Check out the Flickr set for more.

13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    No different to QF when they launched their premium economy a few years ago. They had midget contortionists also.

14. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to say, I felt positively Brobdingnagian.

15. ANZ787900
    Original Member

ANZ787900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Junca and ThatJohn like this.
  16. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read it this morning -- great job with the TR, and I liked your observation about being able to swivel your knees around in B J seats so that the A K person can get out.

It was interesting to see how restricted the legroom looked even for you -- I'm 18cm taller than you, and PE felt deeply cramped at 6'2"/188cm. (Was that your neighbour's black shoe creeping across into the shot at one point?)

Gorgeous shots of the raked wingtip and engines too, BTW. ;)

17. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    One further question: how hangy/slow/crashy was the Airshow for you? On the ground it seemed to be very slow indeed and prone to hanging the whole system up.

18. Looks quite cramped :(

19. ANZ787900
    Original Member

ANZ787900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I didn't think the legroom looked all that restricting as I could comfortably stretch my legs fully while seated in the upright position. I couldn't imagine being 10 or more cm taller than I am right now because that'd be starting to push the boundaries.

Depends on how tall you are.. That's basically the only issue.

20. trooper
    Original Member

trooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concur. Flew back from LAX last Sunday on the 773 and had a friend on the flight in Y+. She liked it a lot - once she was able to move from a B seat to the central pair (and she had an empty seat next to her which no doubt helped)

She is NOT tall however...

I had a quick look/sit and was a little concerned by the pitch... BUT I'd still take that seat over Y!!!

OT.. REALLY liked the new BP mattress...

21. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the funniest, yet most informative seat review I've read in awhile. Thanks, ThatJohn. I had been looking with envy at getting these seats someday as an alternative to economy when purchasing flights (vs awards - where I look for F :)), but sometimes things aren't all they appear to be.

I just choked on my coffee. Thanks for the laugh!

22. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're very welcome! If only there wasn't quite so much to snark about. These seats could have been absolutely fantastic with a bit more pitch. :(

And I swear that the ottomans will take the "most stolen item from a plane" crown.

Junca likes this.
  23. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see that Australian Business Traveller was several weeks ahead of everyone else in reporting the emergency reconfiguration of premium economy on the 77W. I had heard that this option had been rejected because of problems with the arm length for the table and the TV screen, but this has obviously now been sorted out.

Removing 12% of the premium economy capacity on the aircraft must end up playing havoc with the cabin's economics.

Junca likes this.
  24. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Man call me silly, but that looks like a pretty nice flying experience... Am I totally confused? I'm not quite six feet, but a premium economy cabin having a dedicated armrest, dedicated laptop power, etc - looks quite comfy! The question, of course, is how much more is it than regular economy....

25. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy cow Batman....now I'm glad I was in J on this Aircraft...