Premium Economy on QF? Mileage b/t LAX-SYD?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Photonerd71, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two quick questions.
    A) what is the milage from LAX-SYD (i cant find it on ether AA or QF)

B) has anybody flown in "premium economy" on QF? And if so, is it as decent as it looks on their website? (Sadly looks about like business/first here in the us.)

Getting bored and need a long weekend soon. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thank you. (I just bookmarked that page will come in handy as AA never show partner miles)

Nice, round trip from Houston would lock in elite status with one trip. (Using business or prem econ)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another site that also is based on GC but gives Frequent flyer specific calculations also is:
    http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/

This one includes things like class of service and status bonuses.

GC map also give the option for statute or nautical miles, kilometers and time calculations given speed assumptions. A clever addition is alterations based on ETOPS, which is really cool for some geeks among us. That is great for resolving debates about actual point to point range for B777-300ER (twin, so subject to ETOPS) and A340-500 (less absolute range but not subject to ETOPS because four engines).

harvson3 and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do.

Oh, wait, there's a thread? I just read the title...

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree seems we are getting more like FT around here ..... ask for help and too but lazy to post a concise coherent header.:rolleyes:

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be nice if the OP could just fix that, now that it's been pointed out?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA's PDF timetable shows the distance as 7490 miles. That's what you'll get as a base.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    QF PE is nowhere near QF Biz. But it's a mild improvement over straight economy, which feels like being in a sardine can on those long TPAC flights, even on the A380.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Edit by me

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    It's hardly like FT, that would require 52 pages of people whinning about topic x, plus 32 pages of people complaining about how this topic was worded.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No it isn't. We're usually playing when we're snarky to each other, and we usually apologize when we overdo it. We're also kind to newbies...and concise:)

13. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    QF actively market the product as Business Lite rather than Economy Plus (I've had several people in upper QF management confirm this).

Alas it's slipped substantially from launch. The seats are great. Very comfortable and a good step up from any QF "coach" seat.

I have only flown QF premium economy on the 747s but given the choice it's a no brainer. The difference in seat and soft product from Y+ to J is huge though.

Y+ initially had proper Champagne, now it's sparkling. The meals were cut down business meals now its larger better presented Y meals.

Qantas have lost their way. They put in a CEO who was an expert at running low cost carriers (and was indeed the CEO of Jetstar immediately prior to the shift to QF CEO) and its showing.

I'm QF Platinum (oneworld emerald) and even I'm jumping to AA. And that's difficult when you live in Australia!

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thanks to all that responded. The big boss man fixed the title for me, i do 99% of my business on here on my mobile phone and have not figured out how to edit the title of threads. (I dont always have access to my computer during the day due to work)

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thanks for the insight. Looks like even with the negatives it is still a decent option from LAX to SYD on a 380. (I checked a few random dates and the price was 1/2, give or take, business class). But on the positivw side one rt (from my home in Texas) would lock in elite status. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's because you actually cannot change a thread title after you've created it. You have to ask someone to update it for you. :)

17. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh don't get me wrong it's a very acceptable way to travel! Just never do QF8 ;) (DFW-BNE-SYD on a 747). The A380 is very pleasant for long haul :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    I want to do a 380, if for no other reason than to say "been there done that" and check it off the to do list. And of course spending a few days in Sydney gettng over jet lag wouldnt be a bad thing either i dont think. :))

jbcarioca likes this.