Premiere status qualifications for 2015

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by rblass, Dec 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rblass

rblass Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can understand that because of mergers United wants to make the qualification process more difficult. Too many 1K's and platinum flying the "friendly skies". Now we need more $$$$ and more actual miles flown. I can even understand limiting the gold members to two 70lb suitcases when flying domestically. We fly and pay for our status and at the end all is devalued.
    What I don't understand is why when we want to treat our family members with our hard earned miles to an award ticket, the ticket is not acknowledged by matching status of the receiver to the giver.
    If I, a 1K, wish to treat my kids to a RT ticket they will not be entitled to the perks of my miles; no extra suitcases, no economy plus seats. This is just mean spirited. It does not contribute to the process of thinning the ranks of FF premiere passengers. It is Scrooge thinking how to make our status and miles, paid and earned by their best customers, less valuable. Really United! You are "biting the hand that feeds you." Shame on you!

Newscience likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, it was a bug, not a promised feature, that made that happen in the past. And you didn't get those benefits when you paid with cold hard cash for someone else.

Personally, I would prefer if actual promised features were working properly.

3. rblass

rblass Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone can pay with cold hard cash. You don't have to be a FF of any program. Acknowledging the status of its best customers was what this perk was all about. It worked for years, hard to think of it as a system bug.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't want to classify it as a 'bug', how about an 'unpublished benefit'? The funny thing with 'unpublished benefits' is that since they were never promised, there's no basis for complaining when they go away.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since when has that stopped anyone? ;)

Flyer1976, ella, davef139 and 2 others like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lots of things have been broken for years in United's IT system that negatively impact us. Should we start thinking of those bugs as features now, too, and be grateful for them? ;)

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what I was going to say.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware that when my friends traveled on "gifted" tickets that they were not at my status. Either they did receive the perks or they were just happy to have the "free" flight. But I will have to be aware in the future to not raise their expectations.