Premier Mileage Bonuses on LH group flights

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by IMRU, Aug 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has there been a change in awarding bonuses? I was noodling around the UA site and saw this:

Premier bonus award miles are also available on select MileagePlus partner carriers, including Air Canada, ANA, Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian, Brussels and US Airways.

I don't recall hearing that the carriers were broadened to include SWISS, Austrian and Brussels. When did this take place?

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I would love it if SWISS and Austrian earned bonus miles too, but I'm thinking the answer will be: the specific page doesn't list them.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of folks have suggested that those carriers should be included in elite bonus earning because they are part of the A++ ATI. For some reason it hasn't happened yet.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually UA has an ATI agreement with NH & LH so they earn bonus miles whereas LX & OS are not part of the ATI Agreement so there's no bonus miles for Elites.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just because they are part of the ATI doesn't mean that they are earning the elite bonus miles. We've got one report now which says they did. There are still plenty of instances where they didn't. I wouldn't bet on it quite yet.

9. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I put an email into the MPSC to see what they have to say. Would be nice to have ZRH and VIE as an option for transfers.

10. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly Swiss on short European hops weekly and use my UA account to credit most of those trips. I'm UA Premier Gold and consistently see 750 miles per leg in RDM for the the flights less than 500 miles each way. I haven't flown anything longer so can't comment specifically on the crediting rules on flights outside of Europe.

Ygor likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What fare class?? And how does it show the breakdown between award miles and bonus miles?

Code:
    Activity Date	Description					Booking Class	Award Miles	Bonus	Total		Miles	Segments
    4/17/2012	United 3507 New York (LGA)-Chicago (ORD)	PN/PN		733		733	1466		1,099	1.5

12. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the past month of flight history, I see the same mileage posted for fare classes S, T, W & V. All posted with 500 award miles, 250 bonus miles and 500 EQM (1 PQS).

unavaca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has, actually... I recenty had a flight on OS to BKK, in economy V and W, and got 50% bonus as Premier Gold... was quite suprised, as wasnt expected this... but I am not complaining :)

14. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK - so here's an update: the website is unclear about whether you earn bonus miles on Swiss, Austrian and Brussels, so they're going to look into it.

For those of you who like to review, comment on, and make witty observations about email exchanges with UA, the thread is below.

I emailed the MPSC on Sunday:

I noticed the following on united.com: "Premier bonus award miles are also available on select MileagePlus partner carriers, including Air Canada, ANA, Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian, Brussels and US Airways." https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/bonuses.aspx However, there is no information about premier mileage bonuses on the SWISS, Austrian or Brussels pages. Do we now earn bonus miles on these airlines?

I got a response Monday saying:

"With the partners the best bet is to go by what they have listed at www.united.com because it is subject to change at any time. I would just double check before booking on that airline."

This is, of course, not an answer. So I replied.

Thanks, but this doesn't answer the question: do you get elite bonus miles on Swiss and Austrian? Your website says you do, but there is no more information.

As you can see, I used the phrase "elite bonus miles" so I got this response:

"The miles you earn on Austrian Airlines and Swiss qualify toward MileagePlus Premier status, with 50% bonus MileagePlus Premier qualifying miles for paid first, business or full-fare economy tickets."

This also doesn't answer the question, so I asked:

Here are the types of miles: Premier Qualifying Miles; and Premier BONUS award miles (these do not count for Premier status). Your website, as noted below, says that you can earn Premier BONUS miles on Swiss, Austrian, and Brussels Airlines. This would be an unannounced change. The addition of ANA to airlines that qualify for Premier BONUS miles was announced. The miles referred to in the email below count towards Premier status. The BONUS miles set out in the link do not. Please look at this link: it says you earn BONUS miles. Is that accurate? https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/bonuses.aspx

On Tuesday I got this answer:

As a Premier 1K member, you would earn a 100% mileage bonus on ANA flights.

So I got frustrated, and responded one final time Tuesday evening:

Can someone please actually read my emails? Do you earn BONUS miles on Swiss, Austrian and Brussels like it says here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/bonuses.aspx
    Today I received an actual answer:
    We apologize for the confusion regarding your question about the Premier Bonus on certain partners. We have forwarded this issue on for clarification, so it may take a couple of weeks. We can see as well that the website does list Swiss, Austrian and Brussels Air as partners that give the Premier Bonus, but then nothing is listed as such on their individual pages.

15. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    T
    UA can reply however they like, but they have most definitely been awarding premier bonus miles on Swiss for a variety of fare classes, including a transatlantic flight I took in economy late last week booked into M fare class.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, they recently "corrected" the number of miles I received for an intra-Europe flight in January.