Premier Executive Options

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by E170, Oct 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. E170

E170 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for some ideas. I'm a current Premier Executive and fly between 60k and 70k miles a year. United is cutting my 100% award miles bonus in half. Is there anywhere I can switch to and get a 100% bonus other than Delta and AA? I'd need a status match too.

I went through most Star Alliance programs and couldn't find a good earn to burn ratio. I don't want to go Delta because their redemption reputation sucks. That leaves me stuck with AA or another program I haven't found. Thanks for the help. I hate to need to change airlines and programs, but loosing 30k award miles a year will make a big difference fast.

FlyingBear likes this.
  2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS? BD?

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BD wouldn't be good so I guess AS it is or WN Rapid Rewards :p

Oh...and US Airways :confused:

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS would be reasonable and they have a real good partner list for when you have to fly DL or AA. If you can swing the OWMD, then it might be worth it to switch then, since the challenge over to AA will be free with the requirements heavily relaxed (just earning miles instead of challenging by points)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Included" is probably a better term than "free" in this case. OWMD is not a cheap endeavor by any means.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a similar sentiment around the award mile bonus drop. I think DL's bad redemption reputation is dependent on when, where and whom you're flying. Based out of LAX and flying predominantly on partners for award travel, we've been able to get pretty much every award we've wanted both to Asia and Europe. In addition, they will upgrade you at the Gold level and will be introducing economy comfort next year so they are the best match as far as product goes while providing the 100% bonus. I'm looking to primarily move my business to DL in 2012.

AA is my main back up program in 2012 as they still provide the 100% mileage bonus which I find more valuable than E+ and the non-existent upgrades. For me, UA moves from 1st to 3rd and will be flown when I have no other option than flying a *A carrier for work.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    BD may not be BD for much longer.

Great multipliers for premium cabin travel, but of course you lose the upgrade ability you have with UA. I'm letting my BD *G go this year since I will be a Prem Exec after a trip to HKG in a few weeks.

8. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think AS will status match to MVP Gold from UA 1P. It's worth a shot, though.

OP - where are you based?

-RM

9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at US Airways? Without knowing your travel patterns - hard to decide what works/doesn't.

The mileage bonus is the same as United - but the reward chart is more generous in some cases (especially to Asia). US also gives out more mileage (check out the grand slam) and in my opinion more generous with EQMs (credit card, grand slam promo, etc). you should be able to easily make the $75k level and get a 75% bonus on US. Fewer elites, so better upgrade chances.

US also sells status outright. so $1,499 bumps you up to top tier from 50,001 EQM and gives you double the earning. From 75,001 the cost is $989. Not worth it solely for the miles, but considering the better upgrade probabilities, club discount and international upgrade certificates, could be well worth it.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, 30k miles less sucks. My wife will face that next year, so I feel with you (since I manage our accounts... she doesn't even realize this is going to happen and probably would just shrug if I told her).

However, that's just part of the picture, and I am not going to change our primary program because of this change. For starters, it would for us (her?) mean many more connections as we're based near SFO. That's not going to fly (no pun intended). Second, I am quite familiar with the UA program and UA policies. Now I'd have to spend time learning something new. There are lots of other things I'd prefer to spend my time learning (Spanish, Python, ...). Third -- she'd have to start somewhere without any status for at least the first 25k qualifying miles. Fourth -- who says AA for example isn't going to make a similar change a year or so down the road? (or another one that is equally or more painful).

I could probably re-earn those 30k RDM by spending a bit more time on programs like Grand Slam (admittedly not going into the MP account, but US is *A, too). Or optimize my credit card application strategy. Or ...

11. E170

E170 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm out of Denver at the moment, but might be moving in a year or so. I don't mind connections and like to use miles for international F or C trips.

Thanks for the help!!!

12. foady

foady Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not just fly more? It's only another 30-40k. :D

javacodeguy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  13. E170

E170 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I can find 35k for less than $.05/mile I would. I have a lot of time off in December, so the opportunity is there. I may just run to 75k and complain less, but still complain.

14. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you really have some time off and can make it to Hollywood, there is a 4.5 cpm run available in early December if you're willing to go to the place that is still reeling from an earthquake. You'll just want to be careful on some of the routes with partners who don't offer EQM's and RDM's.

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% mileage bonus at mid-tier elite has been overly generous. PremEx should never have been 100% as this makes the bonus at 1K look miserable. The new scheme is much more appropriate to the status tiers. Guess most elites never knew how good they had it until sensibilities set in at UA HQ.

16. United Connection

United Connection Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think this kind of post is what the OP intended for when he started this thread...

17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying one cannot state an honestly held viewpoint if the majority of others disagree? That posts should only be supportive and not raise alternative positions? Compared to programs in the rest of the world, American ones have been overly generous and now that consolidation has occurred things will get more realistic and less liked by many around here. I'm just being a realist.

18. E170

E170 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After a search, I think Alaska may be the best bet for me. I can fly Delta and American for EQMs and get Delta upgrades and AA benefits. The redemption options look good too. Thanks again for the help. I'll miss the Star Alliance.

19. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be that as it may, the point of the thread has nothing to do with it. It's not about being supportive, it's about being relevant. The question was what are the alternatives, not whether something is too generous or how everything should really be. I am a Premier Executive with United as well, so alternative programs for better mileage match are of interest to me too, that's what I like being discussed.

20. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of other things to consider:

First, you say you're doing 60-70k now -- that makes the 75k tier look pretty close to being in reach. That gives you another 25% RDM bonus, waived fees all over the place, and regional u-g certs. And you won't be starting from scratch (yay, vendor lock-in).

Second, how's your lifetime balance on UA looking? Keep in mind the one-time recalibration we get at the end of the year -- I'm expecting a 25-30% increase, largely based on bonus EQMs (class of service, etc.) and partner EQMs. If that puts you in range of 1MM, it may be worthwhile to stick around.

21. E170

E170 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a .4 million miler, so it's looking out of reach. I also read positive things about Alaska doing a status match for a frustrated flyer. I'll be starting from scratch learning the ropes, but should have a gold card in hand. If the status match is a no go, then I'll run up to 75k.

22. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just keep in mind that although starting over has short term pains, if the other airlines maintain their 100% bonus for the long term, you'll be feeling much greater long term pain by staying around.

FlyingBear likes this.
  23. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    In other words, no matter what UACO does to weaken the program, you'll defend it. You are also a big supporter I assume of taking E+ mostly away from Premiers and making it hard for 1k's to use SWUs.

24. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just a risk you take. You could also think out loud if UA might be making additional "enhancements". I've been enhanced enough as a 1MM that I'm leaving entirely. Have already booked two international award tickets for this year and will book one more for next year and zero out my account.

For a Bay Area flyer right now, AA is making it very attractive with DEQM and double flight miles on SFO-ORD/DFW that runs out to March, and this isn't the first time they've had a promo like this (UA has not matched this one). With midtier elite status a RT SFO-ORD gives you 7,400 status miles and 11,100 miles in your account. I've booked a few of those for next year. With UA you'd see significantly less miles if you were a midtier flyer and they did match because of their program changes.

If you fly domestic with AA from here you just accept you're going to connect if you're going to the east coast unless you're on SFO-JFK or SFO-MIA. I've had AA as my primary carrier for 10 years now and they've treated me very well, including providing award tickets to three summer Olympics in a row. They have a brand new lounge at SFO and we've never seen the types of security lines you see at UA. I'd guess over 90% of my domestic fights have involved connections at LAX, DFW or ORD. If domestic nonstops are a higher priority for you, though, AA would not be the airline for you.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS has been having a lot of "chip chip chip" enhancements - the axe is more like a more refined carving tool, but who knows what is next. I've been an AS MP member for 25 years. You might find that longhaul upgrades are nearly non-existent, and European mileage redemption is quite difficult. But overall the AS MP is good, and lets you fly most non *A carriers and earn something. DL upgrades are apparently somewhat scarce, too.

I'd probably try and get 75K on UA and see where that goes for a year. I'm a MM on UA and am also taking a big hit when I fly UA, which isn't too frequently anymore.