Premier Award Availability

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by guberif, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I know as a UA elite you supposedly get better availability for awards (at saver and standard?). What does this end up looking like? A big difference? Any way to tell now what kind of difference I'll see if I eek out Silver?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually more availability on UA metal for Business or First Class availability but the rest meh meh.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A silver won't see more forward cabin inventory; that's reserved for the top elite levels.

Silvers (and some CC holders) get access to the XN bucket rather than just X. That adds coach award inventory for UA metal in some cases. I've seen certain routes/flights where the difference was noticeable and others where I never saw the two differ. I wouldn't put a ton of value in that specific benefit, especially since it can be picked up for a few dollars via the CC if needed.

desamo and guberif like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I reached Million Miler status on CO my wife (as my companion upgraded to gold status) saw a substantial boost in availability of direct flights at both saver and standard levels. It seems to have made it much easier to coordinate my paid flights with her award flights. I do not have a base comparison since the merger and the saver awards seem much more focussed on flights with connections than direct flights.

5. HPaul

HPaul Silver Member

Status Points:
    It can make a MAJOR difference. I stumbled upon this accidentally when I was doing some searches recently. One day I was logged in for the search and saw certain results. Next day I searched before logging in and the results were very different.

As an example, looking for travel between LGA and DEN for a President’s Week ski trip (Feb 15 or 16 one way). Cost (in miles or $$$) is very high for all carriers. Doing a UA award ticket search without logging in shows zero non-stop availability on certain dates. After logging in, ALL 4 or 5 of the non-stops on the same day show award availability (and also changes some connecting availability from Standard to Saver). Granted it’s mostly Standard Awards but considering $$$ cost of airfares that day a standard award makes a lot of sense.

If you’re Premier and you search without logging in there will be a link near the top of the results stating: “> MileagePlus Premier members may receive better search results by signing in.” Click it, log in and you should see a significant difference. I’m not sure if different Premier levels see differences in those results or if the “better search results” are the same across all Premier levels.

8MiHi likes this.