Premier Accelerator question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dc8fan, May 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dc8fan

dc8fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just saw this option when checking my itinerary for an upcoming UA trip. Has anyone used it and it is decent bang for the buck? I imagine it must be a cash generator for the airline otherwise it wouldn't be offered but have a hunch it might be easier (and cheaper) just to look out for a good MR instead. Thanks!

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    At 10 cents a mile just for that portion, generally not. With the RDM purchase, it's typically between 12 cents and 13 cents/mile.

It all depends on whether or not you have the time for the mileage run or can find a good one.

ETA: sample airfare: SFO-BDA roundtrip, 6688 EQMs cost $540 aka 8 cents/mile. I did stay for one night, which does change the equation, though, and I wasn't trying for a mileage run per se.

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the RDM offer, if you're short the miles (not EQMs). A decent MR would be 3-4 cents per EQM, which is 1.5-2 cents per RDM if you're a 1K.

I got offered 40k RDM for $800 on a recent flight, so 2 cents per RDM. If you don't have the time/flexibility to do an MR, it's pretty cheap.

4. dc8fan

dc8fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I think I'll keep my eyes open for a good MR - just thinking proactively. It's still only May :)

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if it's not a "decent" mileage run, if you're spending less per mile, it's a better deal. Try looking at where you'd like to go for a weekend -- if it's far enough and the entire trip is < 12 cents/mile, you're ahead, right?

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of last night and into this morning, they are not offering less than 4000 miles for any of my upcoming flights. This is entirely new, and not a good thing for passengers.

In the past, the options were two times or three times the number of actual miles flown. This allowed MP members to buy a few miles that might be needed to reach an award or status level. At the 4000 minimum those short mileage hops no longer offer that option.

That could also be an advantage for some who need more miles, but have fewer flights booked. A better solution would have been to give more options, such as double, triple and quadruple. Forcing 4000 miles on everyone needing the bump is not a customer-friendly move.

I'm a big fan of greed. I practice it every day. It is why I get up in the morning. Greed drives the economy and produces investments that create jobs. It causes people to offer me cool products that I want to buy.

Those with the power to impose their greed on others, however, must understand that it has limits. Too much is, well... just too much. Chemotherapy can be a good thing for cancer patients, too, but they don't give all the treatments in one day.

IMHO, Smisek is drunk on his newly expanded power. He might need to attend UAA.

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes: I was offered 2k/3k on an upcoming LAX-SFO flight.

ETA: Also, if you want fewer miles: http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMiles.jsp?x2.x=75&x2.y=28&x2=Personal+Miles

2,000 miles on offer.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The PersonalMiles cost far more than the Accelerator miles, but that could be a prudent solution for an award-maker. I recently bought 11872 miles for $0.02/mile. That was the triple LGA-SJO offer at the time. I can't see what the new offer would be, as I have already used the option. Glad I did.

I suspect that there is likely a direct relationship between the distance flown and price of ticket to the price per mile that is offered. My LGA-SJO RT is a paid BC ticket, thus a lower price/mile to buy more. Just a theory.

9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a G-fare (i.e. lowest fare bucket) ticket from PDX-LGA-PDX, and they offered me 20k/30k @ 2cpm. On an upcoming PEK-IAD-EWR-SFO-PEK, all in Z-fare bucket (discount business), I am being offered 40k/60k @ 2cpm.

The # of miles does increase with distance, but the price (for me) is always between 2cpm and 2.5cpm (RDM only).

10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah the RDM price is generally reasonable, the PQM price ... not so much ....

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... Most of my other flights are in the $0.023 to $0.027 range. That's why I snagged them at $0.02. I need at least 20,000/month for regular runs between SJO-BOG that cost a fortune to purchase with money, so I buy the miles for far less than the ticket would cost. I also bought 10,000 last month when they ran a sale on the PersonalMiles. Wish I had more discretionary cash available when that was offered, but the timing was bad.

The PQMs are just not worth it unless one is really close to making Gold. Silver is now worthless, but Gold has a few benefits that can be really valuable. Namely baggage allowances. The way Plats and 1Ks are being treated these days, I sure wouldn't pay to reach either. I will make 1K this year without it anyway, but I'm still going to just buy FC and BC tickets until and unless they lighten up on the CPUs.

Looks like my theory about price determination was wrong. That programming algorithm would be interesting to view. Assuming they don't just use a dart board.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's fascinating is that, for an upcoming 10k award itinerary, they're offering me the ability to buy 10k or 20k miles for an itinerary that is ::cough:: under 700 miles.

Also, I disagree that silver's worthless. I've actually gotten good value out of it even with a mileage run.