"Premier Accelerator" price-cut?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kansaskeith, Feb 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello. Fairly new to UA's way of doing things, so pardon if this is not big news. But I just got offered 9,000 "Award Accelerator" miles for $261 (2.9 cts each, fair to middling, IMHO), *but* on top of that 9,000 "Premier Accelerator" miles for $720 (8 cts each). The latter seemed a lot less than other offers of no less than 10 cents, and sometimes late in the year a lot higher. A month-end special today or something? Y'all's thoughts?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/28/news/companies/united-canceled-flights/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

United Continental, the No. 2 airline in the world, was forced to cancel 22,500 flights in the first two months of this year due mostly to bad weather.
    That was four times as many canceled flights for United as during the first two months of last year.

United disclosed the number of cancellations Thursday night and said its revenue would suffer as a result.​

Perhaps they need to make up some lost ground for the results not to look too bad?

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure my $720 will save the day for them on Wall Street, lol. But who knows, multiply me by a lot of other folks around the nation and the world, and maybe so! :)

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    One could take HMWT's post as sarcasm, but I think there's probably a lot of truth to the raccoon's point.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that the value is not so good for RDM and it is fair for PQM.

For just RDM you will pay 2.9 cpm. For just PQM, 8cpm would be great but it ain't just that. You must pay for the RDM too so, the total for the PQM would 2.9cpm+8cpm= 10.9cpm, which is fair.

One of my current offers is the other way around. For my trip in a couple of weeks to SYD, I am being offered 40K RDM for $920 or 2.3 cpm -- a decent rate. For the PQM, I must pay $4,000 for 40K or 10cpm, on top of the 2.3 cpm, for a total of 12.3 cpm, which is absolutely awful.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K if you have checked that offer in the last couple of hours, disregard the following and accept my apologies. However, if you haven't, it might be worth a few keystrokes to 'refresh' the page with your offer on it. I say that because my 8-cent offer on the Premier side only showed up mid afternoon today. Obviously, YMMV. :)

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine an easier (*) way for them to bring in extra bucks with a few keystrokes and no short-term financial downside.

(*) funny... I must have misspelled easier because auto-correct turned it into "nastier" - or was it Apple's new mind reading technology in iOS 7.0.6?

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My offer remains the same as described above, i.e. awful for PQM, and I suspect that it will not change much until after the trip...

9. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    People still buy PQMs? What for?

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is too early to start buying PAMs, but one can envision a situation arising at the end of the year where one has enough PQDs but is short on PQMs to requalify...

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    To hit the next elite tier, just like before.

Most passengers with some level of Premier Status will be ahead of the 10cpm curve on PQDs, I'd bet. So they may need a few extra points to top off the account.

Photonerd71 likes this.
  12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wisdom of this could be argued til the cows come home, but it might make some sense to high-charging folks with UA Chase cards who are aspiring to 'Premier Platinum' status (or below) locked in through 1/16.

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those of us with foreign residence are playing by the old rules. I still think that almost all PAMs are bad deals, but I must say that this year I am behind in where I need to be to hit 100,000 miles. This is almost tempting, as I'm also doing an international move which is limiting my flexibility for a couple of months this summer.

Flying is always the less expensive option, but one must have the time and opportunity to do so. If I could use the e-certs I accumulated this week ($1200 between the 3 incidents), I would buy some, but they don't let you buy PAMs with e-certs.

It's a drag sitting on all this "free" flying opportunity and no foreseeable opportunity to use it. My nature is to start booking now! :)

mht_flyer likes this.
  14. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    No PAMs for me this year... Just not worth it... And since it doesn't count as PQD no sale for me :)
    Then again I never "needed" it the past few years though I've bought a few here and there.

15. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question: what does "PAM" translate to? Looked at many abbreviations and found nothing that seemed to make sense in context for me.

Thanks

16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premier Accelerator Miles (PAM) a term coined here at Milepoint :)

17. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Premier Accelerator Miles. On American, the same acronym means first-class "pre arrival mint." :)

18. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does buying PQMs count toward required spend for reaching a specific Premier level?

19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  20. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed during my travels on UA last week that PAM prices were at 8 CPM (which is cheaper than the previous 10 CPM as the cheapest I'd seen). For my flights this week, PAM is still pricing out at 8 CPM.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you are not forgetting to include the price of the reward accelerating miles (RAM :D) that must always be purchased with PAM? RAM cost typically 2 to 3 cpm. You add that to the cost of the PAM and you are looking at 10-11 cpm...

mht_flyer and dstober like this.
  22. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are absolutely correct, NYCUA1K. I was just referring to the cost of the PAMs being less than I've seen. If one is going to actually buy these, RAM + PAM = AQD (A Questionable Deal :D)! AQD would definitely need to be on a clearly identified calculation matrix to clear the "Buy" button. :)

mht_flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    AQD of 10 cpm is not too bad as AQD. Anything over that is definitely highly AQD. :D

dstober and mht_flyer like this.
  24. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well DUH! Why could I not see that?

With egg on my aged face, I thank you. It was right there in front of me, but maybe it had something to do with declaring Wine-Thirty early?

Thank you,

Hunt

dstober and mht_flyer like this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fell about 6000 miles behind because of a UA screw up that some (well... at least one person) here are tired of hearing about earlier in the year. I was looking at PAMs, but since I couldn't pay for them with the stack of e-certs I have on my desk from a very fortunate week of convenient ability to volunteer for two VDBs and one IDG, I decided instead to spend one day flying DFW-SFO-LAS-SFO-DFW. Yeah, it's a long day, but I have too many RPUs, and two segments have already cleared (the short ones), and hopefully the others will, too. Either way, I'd rather fly for free than pay for not flying.

This will put me over 50,000 miles on June 30, after a first half of 2014 that was/will be far below average. I don't usually fly in December, so it's important that I do it while I can. I'm also moving in June, so that could easily screw up my travel flexibility. I'm planning 6 weeks off from flying between mid May until the end of June already, and there will surely be some settling in to do. Not to mention training new people in the new office and learning the new laws in a new country. Better to end up Plat for a year than be in trouble with the gubmit of the country of my company's newest subsidiary. Although I shudder at the the thought! :D