Pregnant Mileage Running

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by hulagrrl210, Sep 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious how many other milepoint women out there have gone mileage running while pregnant. I normally wouldn't consider it, but with changes to United's Premier Silver next year, I really really really want to make Gold so I don't have to wait until day of travel to get seats in E+.

Anyway, I'm 2nd trimester, healthy, no travel restrictions, looking to go SMF-LAX-SFO-ICN-SFO-SMF, same day turn which is 2 12-ish hour back to back flights, plus a few hours positioning in Y. I've done several trips to SE Asia and India in the back of the bus (not pregnant) and have my doctor's blessings for an upcoming trip to HK/Thailand next month but am I crazy for even considering this?

I'm not sure I want to stop in Korea for an extra day in between flights to sleep, especially since I'll be by myself, but the thought of 24 hours of almost straight flying in coach doesn't sound incredibly fun either. I'm just looking for people's thoughts, especially if anyone else out there has done something similar while pregnant. Also interested in anyone who has traveled to Korea. I know Incheon is like an hour away from Seoul by train. Is it safe for a woman to travel there alone? Is it hard to get around for a non-Korean speaker if I did decide to stay for a day there?

PhlyingRPh, Gargoyle, cennas and 2 others like this.
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you spoken to your doctor about doing a MR? Flying for a vacation or even a business trip and having a few days to rest between flights is much less stressful than TPAC turn arounds. IMHO you should definitely consult a medical professional who knows the details of your pregnancy and your health. Everyone is different and every preganacy is different. What may be totally safe for one person (or even same person, different pregnancy) could be very, very dangerous for another.

3. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are some nice, inexpensive hotels in Incheon that provide transportation fbetween the airport and the hotel. Several years ago I simply turned left after going through customs and walked to the hotel information desk. They called my hotel (at which I had a reservation) and got them to pick me up. My hotel was the Sky Hotel.

You will no doubt want to have internet access while in flight. If the kid is born on the plane, you would want to immediately sign him or her up for the appropriate frequent flyer miles program for the airline alliance you are using.;)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't comment on the pregnancy thing, given I am male and thus "inexperienced" in such matters. (I'll add, though, that I would NOT do a TPAC MR in Y without at least a day or two at the destination... maybe I am a wimp, but it just isn't the kind of thing I enjoy doing).

As for Korea... well, I just returned from my first Seoul trip three weeks ago (incidentally traveled in E+). It was a fun trip except for the 11+ hrs in 747 E+ hell, and I always felt safe no matter where I walked (or when). I stayed in downtown Seoul hotels (vs. Incheon airport hotels) and it was very easy to get there and back by KAL Limousine bus for about $15 each way. Locations and schedule are here: http://www.kallimousine.com/ (switch site to English at the top right). But I would not do that trek (about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs each way) if you were to immediately or the next day turn around and fly back. Then I'd stay at an airport hotel. I think KAL Limousine also covers some of those, and I'd expect others to have their own shuttles.

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. After reading your comments I am leaning towards spending a night there. For the most part, I really enjoy flying, so I'm not too worried about the stress other than being a little uncomfortable. I haven't explicitly asked my Dr. about this trip but at the same time he has no problem with me going to Thailand (much further than Korea) about 2 weeks later than when I was planning this mileage run, but I'll be sure to ask anyway before I go.

Anyone have experience riding the train into the city? Also what else is there to do/see in Seoul for one day? As I look back, one of my best little mini-vacations I've ever done was an 18-hour layover in BKK spent exploring the city, so as long as it is safe I definitely think spending a day would be the way to go vs. turning around and flying straight home.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    k_malm, hulagrrl210 and catgirl like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    hulagrrl210 and catgirl like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the Inchon hotels are quite far from the airport, so be sure to check on this if you opt for a night near INC.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't do it (in Y) and I don't even have a uterus.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've visited Seoul a half dozen times, most recently in May.

There's lots to do in Seoul depending on what your interests are. Gyeongbokgung Palace (sp?) is the Seoul equivalent of Beijing's Forbidden City. It's in restoration mode, but already quite impressive. There are two or three other palaces and some impressive temples to see as well.

If you're interested in a taste of Korean culture and cuisine, you can do worse than book at Korea House (which is also near the Hanok Village). They have packages of a meal and a show. A few levels of meal are offered, the top-end being traditional court food. Eat like a queen! And the show will let you experience tradtional music and dance.

Insadong street is lined with traditional tea houses, and craft and souvenir shops. And there are some nice places to eat typical Korean food. There's also a Starbucks at one end that was very controversial. They dealt with the controversy by putting up a sign in Korean only.

Of course, Seoul is a large, bustling modern city, so you can find shopping malls, department stores (Hyundai and Lotte for example) and anything else a big city has to offer. But if you're only going to be there for a day, why not see things you couldn't see in any other big city?

Getting around by subway is easy. Signage is in English and Korean. Pick up a T-Money card in a convenience store at the airport, and load it up with some e-cash. It works the same as Octopus in HK or Oyster in London. And you can refund extra cash at the same convenience store when you leave.

Many people speak at least rudimentary English, so you should be ok getting around. Your GSM mobile phone won't work. You can rent a CDMA phone in the airport for a reasonable fee if you feel the need to have a phone with you.

Enjoy your trip!

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  11. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your pregnancy. Flying can take a heavy toll on the body and I would suggest staying overnight in Seoul as mentioned by one poster.

From ICN, the best bet is to bus it to the city and it will take approx an hour. I've stayed at Westin as well as IC near the COEX. There a downtown checking facility too :)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  12. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Y??? :eek: That can be bad even if not pregnant. DO talk with your doctor. This seems a really bad idea. I'm male so what do I know. In any event, if you go we will all be pulling for you and the baby. :)

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed I had no problems with English. There are certainly (many) people who don't speak (much) English, but it always worked out okay. As for the GSM phone, my iPhone 4 worked much better there than here in the US on its native AT&T network. I only used data, but I assume voice would have worked as well.

One more thing about the KAL limousine bus: it has 2-1 seating with really big seats, so it's quite comfortable.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  14. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the well-wishes and suggestions. I'm thinking I might put this off until after I get back from Thailand to see how my body handles the 14-hour flight to Hong Kong before I voluntarily sign up for more :). I know the thought of doing this in Y (pregnant or not) is shocking, but the idea of spending a whole year there as a Premier Silver in E- is even scarier. :eek:

cennas likes this.
  15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I think you most likely would get E+ on most or many flights as Premier Silver, though not necessarily the "perfect" that was available at booking time. Consider, for example, that higher level elites get upgraded shortly before your check-in time and even afterwards and would most likely free up E+ seats. I'd definitely not spend $1000 (or whatever your trip to Korea might cost... that's roughly what I paid for my flight a few weeks ago, + hotel/food/...) just to get E+ pre-selection. Seems like mattsteg has a good and cheaper option for that (assuming they don't change that offer to match the E+ at check-in restriction).

jmrich1432 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  17. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    from the other site:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...rnia-west-coast-icn-650-750-i-rt-4-3-cpm.html
    Very tempting!

You do bring up a valid point though, just with the baby and all, I'd like to be able to plan ahead/ know where I am sitting ahead of time, especially for that unavoidable trip to India next year to visit in-laws. I guess its just a matter of principle that I don't want to pay United for something I always got for free (at least with the mileage run I get some miles and that much closer to MM- if I wasn't so close, trust me, I'd ditch United entirely over this) Anyway, my husband is still Gold, so we can get at least 2 seats together in E+ ahead of time, and I still have a few more good weeks/months to travel and make that decision if I want to keep 1P myself. We'll see ;).

18. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bet Indian grandparents can't wait to see the baby.

catgirl and hulagrrl210 like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought the unavoidable was for the in-laws/grandparents to come out to visit the new baby! :D

kraken, cennas and hulagrrl210 like this.
  20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, that too...

21. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think you would be at higher risk for blood clots or DVT. Also, your blood doesn't get as much oxygen when you are in a reduced pressure environment like an airplane cabin. It's probably not an issue, but if you already have placental insufficiency, it would definitely be exacerbated.

As long as you give yourself a decent break, at least 24 hours on the ground, and your doctor doesn't express any concerns, go for it.

This may be paranoid, but I would also wonder if CBP would suspect you of trying to smuggle drugs. A woman traveling alone, claiming she's pregnant, but flew to Asia and stayed for one day? Granted, Korea is nowhere near as suspicious as Bogota, but you should still read United States v. Montoya de Hernandez.
    And the Supreme Court held that

gomike and jmrich1432 like this.
  22. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would seriously consider trying to use miles/cash for an upgrade on the TPAC flights if you choose to do the immediate turn. I did a SFO-ICN-SFO run last week in Y and it wasn't pleasant although I was able to take a shower and rested for a bit before getting back on the plane. I believe the chances for the upgrades are easier to ICN than NRT.