Preferred seats

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by kellio, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I learned something new today.
    Booked my flights to SAN with myself and 2 general members. I was able to select a preferred seat for myself, a middle non preferred for my daughter and a preferred seat for her friend. I sort of thought it might not allow the assignment for her friend but it worked.

2. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're on the same PNR it lets you but if you split the PNR there's a chance they might lose the seat (and a chance the computers won't catch it).

3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought about that. I'm still trying to decide if I want to upgrade and leave the girls in the back[​IMG]

piqaro likes this.
  4. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why deprive yourself of those yummy Kettle Classic chips? Leave 'em in the back. [​IMG]

5. AnthroFlyer
    Original Member

AnthroFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im curious about preferred seat vs choice seats. Im US Gold and recently booked a domestic ticket that had only one preferred seat but several open choice seats and the system was willing to let me pay for one. Is this new? If all the preferred seats are taken do they release some of the choice seats or are elites SOL?

6. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, this is nothing new and it's not a policy that anyone really likes except the bean-counters. For those "choice" seats, nobody can book them in advance, anyone can book them at 24-hours before flight time, and everyone has to pay for them. It's left a very sour taste in many mouths.

If you go to book and there's nothing left but "choice" seats, skip the seat assignment step and when you check in, the computer will automatically give you one (assuming at check-in there's still only choice seats) without charge.

I would recommend you pass your opinion of this system over to US. If you choose to book elsewhere based on a certain flight when only choice seats are left, I'd include a copy of the itinerary and price paid to the competitor. It's hard for them to quantify how much revenue is leaving because you can't count what you never had. So we have to document it for them.