Preferred Seating on regional flights chargeable?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by Saracen, Jun 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I checked in to my SIN-HKG earlier today and when I selected 71A (I think), I got a dialog saying it was Preferred Seating and would cost. However, in the same dialog, under cost, it indicated $0. In the T&Cs it mentioned $50. I clicked through and completed checkin and was never asked to pay. What gives? Is this a website bug? Will I be charged at the airport? If so I'd rather take a normal seat, but it's too late now!

Or is it the case that for such a short flight, there's no charge (With SQ? That'd be news!)

cennas and SQ LPP like this.
  2. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading your process in booking, it seems that you don't pay for your Preferred Seating. If you look at singaporeair.com, you will see the note:

These seats are available for advance and guaranteed selection, for a fee of USD 50 per sector, on all Singapore Airlines flights, except the following:
    • Short-haul routes within Southeast Asia.
    • Flights served by the Boeing 777-200ER aircraft (this aircraft does not have seats located in exit rows).
    • Routes where Preferred Seat Selection is subject to regulatory approval. Currently, these are the services that ply cities in Taiwan and Japan.
    Thus, SIN-HKG is not a route which fee applies to preferred seating.

cennas and Saracen like this.
  3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I wouldn't consider Hong Kong to be in South East Asia, but maybe they do?

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saracen, I think you got lucky there! I can confirm that indeed Preferred Seating is chargeable on SIN-HKG vv.

However, a colleague was assigned 71A on a SIN-HKG flight when she checked-in at the airport and was not asked to pay. The flight was going out 100% in Y and they had no choice but to assign unsold Preferred Seats. Maybe it's the same with your case also.

Pay or no pay, 71A is a great seat, if not for the lack of storage space.

Saracen likes this.
  5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually you're right in that when I logged in, I was on a Preferred Seat, and chose another one. Hence, maybe it didn't charge me. Well, I hope it sticks!

cennas likes this.