Preferred Seating in LH Economy

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Canadi>n, Jun 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed as a non-M&M STARGold that I have been automatically seated in the first few rows of economy on my intra-Germany/Europe flights and often found even on fuller flights, I had the centre seat left empty.

Is there a formally designated part of the economy cabin that is considered Preferred Seating for elites and full fare paying travellers? A seat map on one of the SMD3 threads shows the first 10 or so rows of economy on the A380 with a "P" coding, and the regular seat selection map shows all these seats as occupied on the flight I'm on. (I assume as with the UA and AC sites, when one pulls up a seat map and has not put in an elite MP/AE number, all the Preferred/E+ seats show occupied even though they may be vacant and available to MP/AE elites.) I assume this is the case with LH.

As I am flying on an award ticket, my elite status is not reflected on my LH res file, so I have only been able to select seats further back in economy online. I assume if I call LH res tomorrow, I can request seating in the Preferred section?

2. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there is anything written in stone about this. However, I have noticed the same thing over and over again. Normally automatically allocated the very front rows of economy with the middle seat blocked even when the flight is near full. So it could be just something they try to do for us Senators as much as possible. Much appreciated from LH!

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH phone agent I just spoke to said the first rows on my A380 site were blocked off for release at the airport, though suggested I might have more choice at the time for OLCI. All intra-German flights could not have seats pre-assigned and had to wait for OLCI. Quite unclear about any Preferred Seating area in economy though.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are seats labelled Preferred on Economy flights within Germany and Europe. I am often perplexed as to why they are preferred- however the general trend seems logical that they are at the front of the aircraft- so assuming you are not at a bus departure gate potentially 3 minutes faster for on/off? The seat blocking is an absolute hit and miss. It works much better if you check in at the airport- however even then it is really a wild shot. Depending on the crew *A Gold tend to get treated very well or not acknowledged- depends. At the opening of OLCI I have seen all seats become available in most cases. Doubt this helps- however this is as close to the facts as I can get for you.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every little bit helps, thanks.

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    My preferred seating in LH Economy on longhaul is on a DL A330. :) I don't have the hate for the NEK others have shown, I think it's fine for shorthaul (the seats seemed similar to VX's Recaros, minus the IFE/power/extra doodads), but 31 inch pitch for 10+ hours makes my skin crawl by hour 6-7, enough so that it's premium cabins on LH, or coach on some other airline.

FWIW, I recall been able to update my LH trips booked with US miles with a CO or UA *G FF#. (Then again, I might be misremembering.)

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I have the hate for NEK. Yesterday departing MUC- delayed because there was not enough space to put the carry on bags. Business they were putting bags in the food carts and also strapping small bags in the middle seat of C. Fortunately, it does seem to be true that for now they have stopped the NEK conversion and there is a rumor of putting a small closet back in C.

8. Ever since I reached SEN status on LH, I have been automatically given as close to the front seats as available at the time of my booking and recently even bulkhead on international flights including on the A380 - now I just have to find a way to keep my status, cause I am sure loving the perks including the free middle seat (not always tho) next to me.

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- once you have the virus, it is very hard to go back....

10. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The seats shown as 'P' in expertflyer and 'V' in Amadeus are available to SEN/HON only, not *G. On the day of departure or whenever checkin open (aprox T-23h) these seats are available to all who can grab them during OLCI or ask the checkin agent. SEN/HON can take upto 3 companions on the same PNR into the 'zone'.
    LH automatically soft blocks the seat next to a SEN/HON/*G. These are so called 'last off' seats and agents are instructed to leave them open if possible. At the self serve kiosk and OLCI you can't see these as open.

11. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm wondering about some of this too, figure I'll post here before making a new thread.

We have some intra-europe LH flights, FRA to ZAG, and SJJ-MUC-FRA. I booked economy as the RT (open jaw) actually was ONLY 550$, and the "business" which is really just the same seat was 1600$, nope, not gonna do that. Issue NOW is of course even as 1P on UA (*gold) I can't actually SELECT seats on the LH flights in europe. I can see our mileageplus numbers in the system record on LH website, but I can't do any seat selection. I would love to think/hope that we'll be put in some preferred seating, but won't have a chance to actually DO anything about it as our flights from ORD to FRA on UA, are right at the time of the LH 24 hour pre-departure checkin.

Is there anything one can do in such a scenario, and is there any UPGRADE opportunity on LH with some form of UA currency?

12. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if you are booked in B or Y booking class. It's hardly worth upgrading such a short segment. You have to be *G with M&M to reserve Economy seats on intra-European flights.

13. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So, just being *G doesn't allow one to reserve seats, only *g with M&M?

14. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everybody can reserve seats on longhaul flights, but just *G with M&M, Business pax and people with B or Y class Economy tickets on intra-European flights.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    OLCI at T-23 and you should be fine. Pre-reserved seats within EU practically no one bothers with so the cabin should be wide open if you jump on it at T-23.

16. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses. Quick question. What is the OCLI on LH for in country flights like at online checkin? Will the seat map simply appear at t-24 and one can select seats, reserve and what, print boarding passes? I can manage to get up at 03:30 PST to be able to book seats, but would hate to not be able to select and or confirm/print prior to USA to FRA launch. :)

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember with LH it is T-23 not T-24 (so you can sleep until 04:30A PST): yes, there will be a button that says "select seats"- it will load a graphic display of the aircraft, and you can click on the seats you prefer. Printing boarding passes usually yes- a few bugs from time to time but normally OK- you can print your boarding pass. For sure confirm seats regardless.

18. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    donkey scone.

19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does it mean?

20. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    :) sort of like mercy buckets (merci beaucoup) but in german. ;-)

danke schoen.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks TivoBoy- got it now!

22. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, the check-in process seemed to work, even a bit before t-23, but the ISSUE was that the seat map was one I could not for the life of me figure out. all the online sites showed an economy cabin that should start at row 6, but this one started at row 4, with an exit at 11, and two rows of three seats so six across. I couldn't find any configuration on LH site or other sites that matched this aircraft. I simply picked exit not really knowing any better

23. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should be fine. Business on inter-EU flights (as you probably know) have a moving cabin- so economy can start in any rom (including row 1 if there is no business passengers booked). Exit row should be fine.

24. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, I picked the exit row that was listed, row 12 on the 737 NEK and it indeed WAS the exit row, so thank gawd for small favours. Online checkin system isn't that great though, even though once one IS checked in, it doesn't SAY checked in in "my booking" and technically I was able to go into the process again and get all the way to print boarding pass AGAIN. This is 2011 people, get with the program!

25. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Anyone know if one can SELECT seats at the t-23 hour, but not check in? I won't be anywhere where I can print out boarding passes for the return two flights. Would rather be able to do seat selection at least. Or, I guess I could do the print out, with a pdf document, and then just check in again at the airport?