Preferred Company Airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Desidivo, Jul 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sure others have had similar situations. I have used United for the last few years and have been 1K for two years and will be again. I have 700K miles accumulated. My company has recently dropped United as a preferred airlines. While we can still use United, we now have to justify it. Easy when united is lowest cost, but United out of Newark is usually not the cheapest.

Just wanted to see what others have done and how they have dealt with similar situation.

zpaul, marcwint55 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most people I know do a status match in that situation.

3. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd also start burning those miles - 700k is a lot of a depreciating asset to hold on to.

zpaul, jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I would not sit on 700k miles with any airline as they will surely be worth less as time goes by. You might check with AA for a status match, as they were doing them recently for United elites.

zpaul, jbcarioca and MX like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, and remember that the company is paying for the travel so they get to make the rules.

6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that 700K RDMs or 700K PQMs accumulated for MM status?
    If PQMs, then you may find your path to lifetime status slowed down a bit.
    If RDMs, then I generally agree that you should use most of them before they are debased. Perhaps you can use them for some aspirational travel or to bring family members to some place fun.

United is such a big player out of EWR that I suspect you will still find yourself flying them on many occasions anyway. Splitting airlines will make earning status far more difficult and in EWR you may be unable to focus on any one other airline. Perhaps your company will allow a bit more flexibility on justification since, as an upper tier Premier you save on baggage, same day changes (this could be big for some travel departments) and upgrades (this is not always big in some travel departments). I would talk to the policy maker(s) in your company's travel department about this. They may well agree to allow UA most of the time given the discounts and flexibility your status provides.

7. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I

I am 500K lifetime miles, so I have a lot to go before I get to 1MM. Also Silver is just not that big of a deal so I am not sure if that is even worth trying for.

My company is ok big that trying to talk to a someone in the travel department might take weeks.

I think I will try the status match to AA and see how that works out.

Thanks

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you mean Silver is the reward for reaching MM status... it is actually Gold. Not that I would make at my goal if I was at 500k, but I am just 40k away from it and thus do now pay attention :)

zpaul, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will your company accept nonstop as a justification for UA? How much choice do you have regarding schedules? The new policy might not differ much from the status quo if any business justification is automatically approved quickly.

zpaul, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go for the match as that seems like a good place to start, but AA is not likely to be cheaper than UA much of the time out of EWR. Southwest, Jetblue and Virgin America can be cheaper, but have poor schedules. If you check with any of the big reservations firms, you may find UA is often competitive and has better schedules. So your status could make the overall cost of the flights cheaper. I would not be surprised to find that you end up Gold or better on UA anyway simply because it is so big there, even if you do throw business to AA.

11. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried that already and was shot down. So far only following reasons are approved: 1) Price 2) Only major airline flying that route 3) customer requirement

zpaul, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's kind of crazy that non-stop is unacceptable. I will soon be leaving my current company which although very large is notoriously cheap and non-stop is still a valid reason to pick one carrier over another.

zpaul, marcwint55, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well if you need to check luggage you can prove a price reduction equal to the checked bag costs (RT this can add up quickly) due to your status. Further, if the customer needs you to have some flexibility on time of departure then the SDC benefit is also a price reducer, also due to your status. From EWR it may well be that a Gold or higher Premier flyer will be less expensive than a General Member on any other airline over the course of a year if there is checked luggage involved and one counts the hours lost due to crazy connections (Southwest out of EWR is not always fun).
    Best of luck to you. They may be inflexible today, but let them know how much time and effort their inflexibility is costing you and them, they may lighten up a little (non-stops vs crazy connections - your time is valuable to them and you).