Preferred Baggage allowance question

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Jul 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that Gold Preferred and up gets three checked bags free...for some reason, I also thought (actually, I was absolutely sure!) that Gold and up also could check bags up to 70lbs, instead of 50lbs, for no charge. But I've spent the last 15 minutes on the website trying to verify this, but can't find it anywhere, so now I'm not so sure (But I could swear I saw that before!).

Does anyone know the answer to this? My wife and I are moving and we're flying down to close on the house this week, and we're trying to take as much stuff as possible with us, so I want to make sure I know the exact rules so that I can maximize what we take :)

2. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's no extra weight allowance for Preferreds but if you are booked into F (including upgraded) you get an exception, the first two bags (only) can be 70lb. So you could have 70+70+50 per person without a fee.

Basic details here http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.html and click on the Oversize/Overweight tab for the F exceptions. Since it is a bit more complex than the usual bag fee exceptions, you may want to print those pages and bring with you, or bookmark them on your smartphone, just in case the agent needs a quick reference.

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks--I knew about the F allowance, but I still had it in my head that certain preferred levels had an extra weight allowance too...not sure where I was coming up with this, but guess I was crazy! I normally wouldn't post a question like that that can be easily looked up on the website, but I was so certain of it that I figured I must've just been missing something...glad I checked, because otherwise my wife and I would be at the airport three days from now with three 70lb bags each and be totally screwed!

(And unfortunately we're on an Express flight, so no F seats...)

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    On CO/UA it's 3 @ 70 pounds for *G, I would have thought these were Star Alliance Gold standards?

Actually I believe these are the standards for *G flyer regardless of cabin booked for any * carrier.

5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this is where I got it in my head that US was 3 @ 70. Thanks for the info!