Prefer Red Carpet Club Drink Chits versus Complimentary Alcoholic Beverages

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chitownflyer, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish UA would at least bring back the drink chits for those on international flights going to the RCC who are star Gold or C-F passengers. The lack of choices makes getting a decent glass of wine or a beer impossible. The IAD RCC serves Bud Light as the only choice for house beer. Come on United, either provide some choices and a decent product, or do not provide one at all. Then again, the next time I am at IAD with a long layover, I will head to the Lufthansa lounge over in the B terminal, but time does not always permit me to do so.

mechteach and IMGone like this.
  2. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer complimentary alcoholic beverages, but I agree that they need to improve the beer/wine selections...

Delta skyclubs offer Corona, Budlight, Miller/Michelob, Heineken, and a house pale ale for free... Alaska boardroom offers microbrew beer, Alaskan Amber, XX, and Sierra Nevada for free at LAX...

They also need to make Kahlua complimentary... It is ridiculous that they want $7.50 for a shot of a liqueur that costs $12 for a whole bottle at the grocery store...

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I prefer the booze being free, but then for the most part I have stopped visiting them. I don't go through ORD that much, and the LH lounge at IAD serves my needs much better.

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree with the OP - for our drink coupons we got the opportunity for a decent tipple, especially in the beer department, where Bud Light is a bizarre choice for a free drink. How lame is it to be charged for Red Carpet Ale? Not to mention the short-lived two coups for a really good drink option.

Luckily, though, the RCC complimentary wine list hasn't yet sunk to the level of CO PC's offerings. It's sort of odd to choose RCC or PC based on whether I am in a beer or a wine mood.

mechteach and lili like this.
  5. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or maybe keep the current complimentary alcohol program and allow us to use our in-flight drink chits in the RCC for premium drinks??

That way it is a win-win for everybody involved and we have a choice of how we want to use our chits....

mechteach likes this.
  6. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are pe:(ple still complaining about this? I'd bet that over 90% of people entering the RCC who now get adult beverages for free got none for free before. There is nothing wrong with that model. It's a huge new benefit for the vast majority of people in the club.

7. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy with my Dewars+Coke :D

But I will stick with my Kahlua comment, because the PC offers it for free and I hope it will be when both clubs merge :D Nothing beats having adult chocolate milk in the morning or late evenings ;)

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember, there are a lot of us that are mainly domestic travel and so did not have the method of accumulating drink chits. I've only had two times where I received any, and both times was the agent being nice and not following the official policy.

9. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given a choice between free plonk or nothing, I'll take nothing, though I appreciate having the choice [​IMG]

What are the complimentary beer/wine offerings at the SFO RCC for example?

10. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree it seems really sad that almost every time a major customer benefit could be realized, the new benefit is "enhanced" enough to make it less valuable than the previous system. Most of the new changes only sound better when in fact they are neutral or negative.

chitownflyer likes this.
  11. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to see :pthers agree with me. Oh -- and I agree with Golfingboy about the Kaluah.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely. Notwithstanding the fact that UA has clearly cheaped out in only offering Bud Lite (where Presidents Club guests can usually pick from choices including Heineken, Ziegen Bock, Michelob Amber Bock, Dos Equis, or Bud Light), free booze beats paid booze any day of the week. And, with my PPlus discount, a $3 glass of 15yr Glenlivet is the best deal in town!

COFlyerCLE and Xyzzy like this.
  13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are obviously paying too much, the goal is to find people to pay for the glasses for you [​IMG] (My luck has been wonderful for Patron)

EWR764 likes this.
  14. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well said!

15. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I c:pouldn't agree more!

16. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    People traveling in international C or F on UA now have to pay for anything fancier than the "beer" on tap, the house wines, and well liquor. I don't see why they can't give drink chits the way they used to (and it would be nice to see premium drink vouchers for BF flights as well).

What does AA do for international C pax?

17. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone please tell me what exactly a "chit" is? I don't fly UA much but I'm really curious because I've seen the word thrown around a bunch lately. I'm assuming it's some sort of token/coupon that gets you a free alcoholic drink in the RCC...is that correct? And how do you go about acquiring these things? Thanks!

18. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When flying in F on UA there is the IFL... All hubs have them except DEN, but they are going to lose the LHR flight anyway... At most international destinations there are lounges operated by partner airlines that have decent selections...

For C :(

AA does nothing either for paid C customers, but if you are an EXP you can access the Flagship lounge... For F customers they can access the Flagship lounge as well, but again only at the hubs...

19. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    With UA there used to be two kinds of chits... One for on-board and one for RCC... Basically those chits are good for one free drink and when flying internationally in C or F the agent would give one or two chits to those passengers when they entered the RCC to use towards a free drink... Now when they implemented complimentary drinks, they no longer give RCC drink chits...

For on-board drink chits, it usually come with the elite package and we get a certain number each year.. Not a lot though...

20. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    10 onboard drink chits per year for 1K. Used to be 2 drink chits per international trip in C.

21. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And agents would also give them to you if you were being especially friendly and keeping them happy during a stressful time, or if they just wanted to take pity on you for some sort of craziness going on (Experienced this at both ORD and IAD)

22. the_other_Mike_Asia
    Original Member

the_other_Mike_Asia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am happier the chits are gone from the RCC. It feels less cheap to go into a lounge I have paid to use and then get charged for booze. (The same goes for internet)

However, UA needs to raise up the standard for free booze to CO's level. The free offerings are just plain sad.

SFO domestic--Bud
    SEA--MGD
    IAD--Bud light

Seriously?

23. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least the RCC should offer several choices for beers(Leinenkugel, Heineken, Avalanche, RCC Ale) rather than offering undrinkable beer. The same should follow for wine. This is actually a move by UA to get people to pay more for drinks, but I will gladly drink water or a latte instead.

the_other_Mike_Asia likes this.
  24. the_other_Mike_Asia
    Original Member

the_other_Mike_Asia Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not undrinkable, we're just too high brow to drink it.

25. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nein, it is undrinkable. :p