precheck is great

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by LAM, Feb 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got through security at DCA. Love precheck except the 4 people in front of me all were on the wrong line.Then one lady had it but did not know what it was so she followed her husband to the nudeoscope. Was surprised I got it as my next flight is international. Here we come Germany.

2. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, as more and more pax become PreCheck, it is incumbent on TSA and other pax, to help them get sorted out in that line. A bit of help goes a very long way.

Of course, there is then the TSA agent, who flat hates PreCheck, and will pull each pax out for a more thorough exam, regardless of whether they fly 200K per year, or just got their first PreCheck pass.

Last, there are some newer PreCheck points, and the TSA has not clue how to manage those, or even what they do. Ran into that at TYS recently, and the program was only about 2 weeks old - not one TSA agent really had a clue. We had to instruct them, on what needed to be done. Oh well, they will probably have it perfected in a few years?

The only real problem that I see is that when one has been PreCheck for a few years, and hit a US airport without it, they have sort of forgotten the old dance moves, like removing their shoes, while taking their liquids out of the briefcase, taking off their jacket, and getting their belt onto the conveyor. Yes, we all knew the drill well, having done it for many years, but when we are hit by it, "What, no PreCheck????" we panic, and get shaken.

8MiHi and Laptop Nomad like this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find am most confused by Pre-Check lite... where I can keep my shoes, belt, and jacket on but have to rustle through my carry-on and and take out my laptop and liquids. I got a pretty good mix last year of Pre-Check and regular airports before it became more common, so I haven't forgotten how to do the regular nude-o-scope dance... but doing half of one thing and half of another really seems to throw me for a loop. :confused:

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  4. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean taking out your liquids, and removing your laptop not at pre check I have ever done???

5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some airports offer what I (and I think some others here) call "PreCheck lite" where they may not have the staff or space for a dedicated line. In some of these cases I am told to leave my shoes, belt, jacket on but that laptops and liquids must come out of bags. This happened to me twice recently at SJC and then at KOA. In both cases I had to keep my boarding pass out at the metal detector to show the screener that I had PreCheck and wasn't blatantly disregarding the dire warnings about removing shoes.

8MiHi and Laptop Nomad like this.
  6. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never experienced that. I should have known that they had to do something different, and not follow the rules. What a crock.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the last few years I've never taken out my liquids, its not a lot but 10-20 flights, and never had a problem - except when I had a large container of liquid that they needed to remove (and should per the rules). This included pre-precheck days.

8. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a pleasant Pre-Check experience in MIA - the line was extremely long so I went to SkyPriority which had only a couple of people. When I got to the ID checker he asked why I wasn't in Pre-Check and I said the line was too long for my liking so he asked if I preferred Pre-Check and I of course, I said yes, so he opened up a few stantions and let me go to the front of the line. A pleasant and welcomed gift in an unexpected place.

9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    This year (Jan) the first few flights, the Pre-Check was not open (1st flights out of EWR) so they instituted Pre-Check-Lite. It is essentially a laminated card, that you use, allowing you to keep your shoes, belt and not remove the 3-1-1 liquid bag, but laptop and ipads/kindles have to come out :(

10. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Monday I went through something called "expedite" instead of precheck or the normal routine. Even though my boarding pass said precheck, the TSA agent fussed at me for leaving my laptop in my bag. She later told me that because their airport did not have all of the technology for precheck, they have a security line labeled "expedite". People can leave their shoes and jackets on, but liquids and laptops still need to be removed.

11. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, no sooner do I type, than PHX shuts down PreCheck (Terminal 2) for the day. OK, it only took me a moment to get back into the drill, but I almost forgot to remove my little "liquids" pack, and who knows what grief that would have caused me?

Managed just fine, so I guess that I have not "lost it."

LAX and SFO had PreCheck lines functioning, so things were OK there - I even got some extra "points," when I tipped my hat to the female TSA agent at SFO - she was obviously not used to that - must have been new to that position, as I fly through there 2 - 4x per month, and always tip my hat to ladies.

Hunt

12. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bill, does anyone tip their hat to ladies anymore? She was probably shocked by this tiny slice of chivalry. (I think it's a very nice thing to do but it doesn't strike me as something commonly done these days.)

13. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently, she was no accustomed to that behavior. Not sure that it got me any "points," but is what I normally do, and she had a very nice comment. That is probably as good as it gets.