Precheck Imminent?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by kansaskeith, Nov 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Wichita Airport Authority, of all people, has been reporting since last month that Southwest would join Precheck on Nov. 13. http://www.flywichita.com/news/tsa-pre-✓-begins-at-wichita-mid-continent-airport/ (Wichita is new to Precheck, and mentioned Southwest as part of the airport's press release on the subject.) Anyway, I took this with a grain of salt because I have been unable to find any written confirmation of that date (just "November") from the airline itself.

Well, this morning, I noticed that Southwest on its "My Account" page for "Rapid Rewards," under "Contact Information" had just in the last day or two added a field to enter one's "Known Traveler" number (e.g., "Global Entry" ID). That field wasn't there a couple days ago. So I entered mine. I'm hoping all this cuts in Nov. 13, Wednesday, because, quite coincidentally, that day I will have my first WN flight in more than a decade :)

iolaire and Newscience like this.
  2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I can't answer you but if you don't mind a brief hijack, is DHS randomly handing out pre-check to random travelers? Someone I traveled with last week was directed to the line and she received the customary three beeps. She didn't even know what was going on, why, what to do etc and the kicker is she never applied or paid for it.

Newscience likes this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the T.S.A. is in fact doing that, and its agents admit that as a result it has slowed things down, particularly with folks who don't know about the new rules, don't know they have to take their shoes off, etc. It's not the passengers' fault, but rather a communication and administration problem. Some agents have told passengers the agency is aware of the problem and is working to fine-tune things. We'll see.

Now, about Southwest: if anyone hears more about a debut Wednesday, please post here. I am anxious to be a "guinea pig" for my pre-scheduled Wednesday flight :)

Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much for posting this, KansasKeith!
    It's about time for SWA to get on board with TSA Pre-Check! :) Be sure to let us know if/when you can do this! I'll be onboard a SWA flight tomorrow (before this kicks in), but am hopeful that:
    - pre-check will be in place the next time that I fly SWA
    - there won't be too many "hopelessly clueless" folks in that pre-check line! :eek:
    Newscience

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know tomorrow is the 12th, not the 13th, but if you have "Global Entry" and don't have any reason not to do this, I'd go ahead now and waltz on over to the Southwest web site and enter your Known-Traveler number on the Account Information/Contacts link. Never know when they might have a "soft opening" a day early or so, and then the number would be in there for future use anyway.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    THANKS! :):)

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I just tried to enter this number into the box on my SWA account, and kept getting an error message. I called SWA, and they entered it into my account. I'll be sure to let you know if this works for pre-check!

8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hoping this is in fact happening...had to buy a refundable UA ticket yesterday to use Precheck at DEN when flying WN.

Newscience likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    kansaskeith,
    I just took a SWA flight today (and am entered as a Known Traveler on their system). But there was no Pre-Check offered for anyone flying on SWA today. A TSA agent that I spoke with about this said that she had heard a rumor that it would start tomorrow, even though TSA had been officially told that SWA would be using Pre-Check at the end of 2013.
    Newscience

iolaire likes this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I have entered my Global Entry number in their system, plus obtained a boarding pass for my SWA flight tomorrow. No reference at all to PreCheck. I thought maybe it was because SWA put my first and middle names together under "first," and Global Entry has them separated. Or maybe they're just not ready. Oh well. . . .

Newscience likes this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on United and USAir this coming week, and back on SWA next Saturday. I hope by then that they're finally invested in TSA pre-check! :rolleyes:

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a "known traveler" (versus an "unknown traveler"? :rolleyes:) I'll definitely post here if my pre-check comes through for my Saturday morning flight with SWA - and hope that anyone getting pre-check from SWA similarly mentions that it's finally working.

In the meantime, it was great to have pre-check on my United flight on Monday, and am looking forward to pre-check on my USAir flight tomorrow. ;)

14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    SWA/WN is finally fully engaged in the TSA Pre-Check program! :) I enjoyed this status last Saturday and yesterday at both BWI and BDL.

The TSA Pre-check status is indicated on the top upper left part of your printed SWA boarding pass. ;)

Welcome aboard SWA to TSA Pre-check! :cool:

15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to modify this posting, after yesterday's SWA/WN flight out of BWI. Pre-check was left off of my boarding pass this time, whether I printed it at home, or on SWA's terminals at BWI. Wassup SWA? TSA Pre-check status is only shown on the boarding pass once in a while? :mad: