PreCheck Dependent on How Ticket Was Issued?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by gleff, Jan 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My reservations booked at AA.com or by phone show the little green check mark and "TSA Expedited Screening Program' under Passenger Details: Secure Flight Information in my reservations.

This check mark and statement are right below the box for Known Traveler ID.

My reservations booked by third parties all have everything else correct... but lack the check mark and TSA Expedited Screening Program statement.

(1) Does this mean that I won't get PreCheck on these third party reservations?

(2) Is there any way to adjust the reservations so that they mirror the ones booked directly with AA and show TSA Expedited Screening Program?

(3) Is this a bug or a feature, a known issue, or much ado about nothing?

Thanks! :)

malikguy, downhillcrasher and MX like this.
  2. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing that AA has its systems more integrated with the PreCheck system than the third parties do, and also that the checkmark is no indicator of actually having PreCheck or not. Have you noticed if your success rate at the airport is affected? I've only booked reservations through AA.com so I can't say anything about success rate with third parties, but I haven't missed a PreCheck chance whenever tried as a GE member (more chances now that PreCheck has come to the AA C/P in BOS).

3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes my BP says I'm good for Pre-Check and sometimes it won't let me go through. I always "passed" on LAX, but last time it didn't let me go. It was a domestic ticket booked on AA.com.

downhillcrasher and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be hit/miss sort of thing. I have been successful only once in three tries, the last time it did not let me through being two weeks ago in SFO, and this is after I had just come into the country through Global Entry!

5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is my understanding that pre-check can not be used in conjunction with international itineraries. So, you should not have gotten it two weeks ago, assuming that your onward flight from SFO was a part of the same international itinerary. Now whether or not that makes any sense for the last segment after arriving in the US and having to re-clear security after customs is open to debate, but thems the breaks.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware of this restriction but I had arrived in SFO from HKG, came in through GE, rechecked my luggage, and then tried to use PreCheck to get through security to catch my SFO-JFK p.s. to return home. So, if PreCheck cannot be used when a trip includes intl itineraries then I might as well stop trying because most of my trips do include intl segments...:confused:

downhillcrasher likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's definitely random... as as noted below, not necessarily applicable with international itineraries.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know Expedia hasn't added this yet, as there's an Egencia page stating it's not available yet. But, if you link to your FF program and the name matches, I was under the impression it should work if your KTN is in your FF profile.

9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was also my understanding however I was traveling BCN-JFK-DFW today and I was surprised to be waved through the TSA pre line at JFK. Since asking for details might have resulted in groping or being irradiated I didn't question this so I can't offer any details :)

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it be it's not valid for OUTBOUND international itineraries but inbound is ok since it's no longer international then?

NYCUA1K and downhillcrasher like this.
  11. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    This would be very logical. However, unless there was a recent change, it is my understanding that it doesn't matter, international is international and that means no pre-check. Of course, zphelj's experience above is hopefully indicative of a new development.

To quote the TSA precheck website:

Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?
    A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.

zphelj, NYCUA1K and bigx0 like this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I should have known better than to try to apply logic to TSA operations.

NYCUA1K and downhillcrasher like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, one can only hope that TSA has now seen the light about permitting PreCheck for those who have already completed the intl segments and are going through domestic security check to connect to other US destinations...

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've never gotten it as part of an international itinerary, in either direction

15. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My past 2 trips home from AKL I have received pre-check after clearing customs and immigration at LAX for my flights to ORD. I was surprised both times, but super happy.

16. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to book through Egencia for corporate travel and knock on wood, I have always received pre-check on both UA and AA. Now that I have said that, I have jinxed myself. Fingers crossed I get it today for my flight to JFK. :)

17. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    TSA doesn't seem to look past a single PNR. The wife and I had purchased JFK-IST tickets and then later bought the ATL-JFK parts on separate ticket. We got Pre-check on the domestic segments that were on the separate ticket.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  18. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a bit misleading, in my experience.

I have quite a few tickets booked (same PNR) with international legs and multiple domestic flights on days other than the international departure/arrival. I have almost always been able to use PreCheck on days that I do not have an international flight, even though the domestic flights are on the same PNR as the international legs.

For my last itin in Nov/Dec all on the same PNR:

Nov 15: SCL-DFW-ORD no PreCheck for DFW-ORD
    Nov 26: ORD-MIA PreCheck OK
    Nov 30: MIA-ORD PreCheck OK
    Dec 5: ORD-DFW PreCheck OK
    Dec 7: DFW-SCL: No PreCheck

In my mind it's more appropriate to think of flights connecting to or from an international flight that don't qualify.

19. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling through BWI, and they have an expedited line. Is this the same line as precheck?

zpaul likes this.
  20. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, that's the same as the Priority AAccess lines. Class of service and status-based entry.

21. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I experienced an issue recently with AA where I was enrolled in the program and booked directly with AA.com but would never be allowed through the pre-check for some reason. I checked with an agent at the airport this last weekend and finally figured out why. On my AA.com profile, I only had my First and Last name, but the TSA enrollment also had my middle name. She adjusted my ticket to have my middle name and wallah, pre-check enabled. She told me to update my AA.com profile so that any of my future reservations would be issued with my full name per the TSA enrollment. My guess is that the information has to match up exactly between ticketing and the TSA, so there may be a possibility that the third party is leaving out something that is not matching the TSA's system.

zpaul and Wandering Aramean like this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup...EXACT match is key.

malikguy and zpaul like this.
  23. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thought: The documentation is almost always the last thing to be updated.

24. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    I hope that is the case!

25. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more thought: Could they be giving out some leeway to the TSA team on waving people through randomly? I doubt this myself but it could explain the randomness of it.

At JFK my ID and BP were checked at the start of the priority access line, then farther in I was rechecked and sent down the TSA Pre line. I was the only person going through that line at the time. The regular TSA lines were not busy either. There was no wait time at that checkpoint, the one nearest the CBP exit. I'm not sure how many there are at JFK, maybe just the one at T7/T8.