Praise to Amex customer service, especially @askAmex

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by tulane09, May 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for the 75,000 Business Gold Amex on the last day of the offer back in January, I met the hefty spend and my points never showed. After a little bit of a run around through Amex secure messages I tweeted @askAmex and a rep got back to me a granted me the points. She confirmed my application before the expiration of the offer,and while she says the link I used wasn't correct she saw I met the requirements and my points posted instantly.

I've always been pleased with Amex, but this was probably the biggest issue I had with them (and most costly to them) so I was pleased with the service and especially the fast response via twitter.

LETTERBOY, SuperKirby and boondr like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well my experience differs quite a bit from the above.
    Amex has been IMHO notoriously poor in posting certain bonus points.

I had recommended a least three people to apply for their SPG Amex with the promise of 5k points if the person recommend, applied and got accepted for the card. (this promo is not currently available)

1) After waiting for over 6 months and not receiving the expected bonus for the last one I had enough.
    I called them around early March gave them the name and address of the new card holder and I got a less than enthusiastic CSR who gave me a reference number and told me Amex would contact me in 6-8 weeks.

2) Called them last week (one day short of the 8 week time frame) and was told by a pretty snotty CSR who sort of questioned my wanting so long in contacting ( well duh if they had posted the points I wouldn't have waited so long
    would I?)
    Told me they are unable to check into the investigation using the reference they had given me.
    Ask to speak to someone who has that ability .. no can do ..not allowed.:rolleyes:

Was told that I had to wait until May 1st (the of end the exact 8 week period) and I would hear from them...but that date nothing was heard.
    3) Sent them an e-mail on May 3 threatening to cancel the total of five Amex cards held by my wife and I.

4) Got an e-mail saying they will grant the points as " Goodwill" no other communication, not even an apology.

MX likes this.
  3. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can only speak to my experience. I did everything through messaging that way I had a paper record of it. It took about 1 week and a few messages, all civil but of varying degrees. I was outright dismissed up front but each time I got a better response. On someone's recommendation I tried @askAmex and everything was solved right away. I think making it a public issue via twitter gives a little more incentive. It also gave me an individual to contact so I wasn't getting different people all the time. It was nice that when I tweeted back after hours someone replied right away that they would forward my response to my rep in question first thing when she was back at work. Voila, points were posted.

On a separate occasion I asked why I wasn't credited 5% back on a Hertz rental through OPEN, they explained that the 5% was only after $500 in Hertz expenses. They then credited me $12 anyway for the misunderstanding, which was entirely my fault.

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    For every organization as large as AmEx, Chase, Citi, BofA, etc, different people have different experiences. That's just they way it is. I've also had excellent customer service from AmEx, but others think they're the devil incarnate. For any organization that large, some people will they're evil, and some will think they're angels. The OP could have posted the same thing about Chase, Citi, etc, and someone would come along to say whoever it was stinks. Not everyone will have good experiences with AmEx (or whoever), and not everyone will have bad experiences with them.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that might be your perspective or what you expect but I demand/expect better.
    I have found some organizations to be substantially better than Amex.
    Diners Club for instance even after they were divested from Citibank has much better customer service.

What did find is annoying is the attitude of the two CSRs plus the story which turned out to be a de facto outright lie that I would get a written response in 8 weeks and it was not until threatened to cancel a card(s) which I have had for over 20 years did they grant me " Goodwill"

The fact is I am still technically owed at least 15k SPG points but I just cannot be bothered to deal with their nonsense.:mad:

MX likes this.
  6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Conversely, I, and the OP, and probably many others, have had good experience with AmEx. Just because you've had bad experiences with them doesn't mean everyone will, and just because one person had a good experience doesn't mean the next will.

I've seen threads on TOBB complaining about Diners Club's service.

7. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a follow up, @AskAmex sent me a survey about my experience. Which partially confirms my thinking that Amex is trying extra hard on twitter. With that said I often get surveys whenever I call for an issue too, so maybe not.

Maybe part of why I felt compelled to post about my positive experience was that fact that @AskAmex performed so well and quickly. I really just did it on a whim. Will be starting there in the future.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often get surveys when I call Bank of America about various things. I've never had them send me one after a Twitter interaction, but in my experience, their Twitter customer service is useless. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had a situation that they resolved successfully through BofA's Twitter customer service.

9. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @AskAmex has been very helpful to me also ; when they were running that twitter promo on the $25.00 Gift card for $15.00, the system kept crashing on my orders, so then I sent them a tweet about it....I didn't hear back until weeks later in the mail with 3 gift cards....and they didn't charge me for it. FREE MONEY....thanks AmEx.

LETTERBOY and tulane09 like this.
  10. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BofA is the worst IMO. They ran a promo on my Alaska Signature Visa card, where I would get a gift car of my choosing (Target, Starbucks, or Best Buy) if I did online bill pay for a utility, or something like that. Well, I did all the requirement, and I never got anything for it. I called their customer service and they opened a ticket, months passed by and nothing. Finally had to go into a branch, talk to a manager (3x) and then got a credit of $15 in my checking account.