Prague

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Desidivo, May 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to goto Prague and Frankfurt on a business trip. I have to stay over the weekend since the one meeting is on Friday and the next on Monday. Two questions.

1) Should I spend the weekend in Prague or Frankfurt?
    2) What should I do over the weekend in either of those cities?

I normally fly in and out try to get back to my family on weekends so this is a first for me.

Thanks

2. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prague!!

Kalboz, TravelBear, traveler and 2 others like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely Prague. Many sights to see in Prague and some nice museums also.

TravelBear, traveler and GoodBoy like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I count Prague as one of my all-time fave cities in Europe. If you go you must dine at a restaurant called Peklo. It is in a grotto where they used to store wine for one of the King's.

5. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prague-Prague-Prague-Prague!

TravelBear likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plenty to see in Prague, with the Charles Bridge, the Castle, St.Vitus Cathedral, Wenceslaus Square and much, much more.

Great food (mainly middle-European, lots of roast pork, bohemian dishes).

If you like beer, you can get great Czech beer (Czech Budweiser -- no comparison -- or Pilsner Urquell) at about 27 Czech Crowns (about a buck and a half) for a half-liter. (Be careful, though - if you're buying in a cafe near the clock tower, you'll easily pay 3 to 4 times that price.)

And if your expense account allows, stay at the Aria, a beautiful boutique hotel just down from the castle with a spectacular view of the city from the roof garden/cafe. Try the Eggs Benedict at breakfast - absolutely sinfull!

TravelBear likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having been to both places multiple times, Prague because I cannot get enough of it and Frankfurt because I must since it is one of the major hubs into EU, it is a no-brainer: Praha! as they call it there.There is all the great stuff that has been mentioned and a great nightlife, if y'know what I mean;)

BTW, from the title of the thread I suspect that you already knew the answer...:)

TravelBear likes this.
  8. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    And one more vote for Prague!
    But be aware of the pickpockets and don't leave any personal belongings unattended - not a reflection on its citizens, just a note of caution from personal observation, specially in the crowded areas.

TravelBear likes this.
  9. Yavamos

Yavamos Active Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for Prague - you'll love it!

TravelBear likes this.
  10. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone. Looks like Prague is the winner. I was think of staying at the Boscolo Prague" since Marriott has a bonus points promo.

Is there a tour that would show me most of Prague over the weekend? I am not much of a history buff but I love photography and want to go around taking pictures. If there is tour that is geared toward people who want to take pictures that would be best.

I will come back with the family and take the full tours later.

TravelBear likes this.
  11. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are several walking tours of the old city, including at least one free (tips only) one, which might meet your needs.

TravelBear likes this.
  12. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Active Member

Status Points:
    If you like taking pictures, then you'll find yourself very occupied in Prague. You can't sneeze without finding something extremely photo-worthy in that town. Also try Mount Steak on the castle side of the river - it has the most exotic meat selection I've seen anywhere in Central Europe and the Tiramisu still haunts my dreams...

TravelBear likes this.
  13. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this thread has me excited! Planning on going to Prague later this year. I love walking around old cities and my partner loves taking photos! This sounds perfect.

georockc likes this.
  14. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could be said about NYC, Rome, San Jose Costa Rica....really any major city. Always good to note though.

15. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prague and St. Petersburg are my two favorite cities. Prague has a never-ending supply of landmarks to take in. Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square are two vibrant spots with plenty of food and drink spots, but you have to make sure you get to the top of the Eiffel Tower replica on the other side of the river for spectacular views of the city. Also, if you're a beer aficionado, you will want to try the Ferdinand Restaurants; their Seven Bullets Beer is outstanding!

16. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. That sounds interesting. Does it have a good 360 degree view from the Prague Eiffel Tower? If so I would love to get a panoramic view of the city.

wcblack34 likes this.
  17. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does. You can see Prague Castle, Old Town, and even the apartment blocks and football stadium.

18. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aw shucks, you HAVE to go for work...

19. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prague def...

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, there are a few city tours that you can book through your hotel's front desk. I took one that lasted all day and well into the night, culminating in a village outside the city, where we were wined, dined and entertained a la Czech (those not shy got to be taught traditional Slavic dancing by young male and female Czechs in traditional outfits. Quite cool, really). Plenty of opportunities, especially during the riverboat part of the tour, to take gorgeous pictures of this ancient city's many historic landmarks, which remain pristine because Czechoslovakia was annexed early by the Fuhrer and, thus, was not "blitzed" and then artillery-pounded to submission by the mighty Deutsch Wehrmacht during WWII

21. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Beware of the taxi drivers in Prague, a crook by any other name is still a crook.

NYCUA1K and TravelBear like this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    They call them "gypsy"cab drivers in NYC...and they must also have a name in Chinese because they can be found in cities from Anyang to Zagreb...;)

sfo1 and TravelBear like this.
  23. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about which tours to take, as I just loved to wander the city, but the highlights that I think should be hit in a single weekend are Prague Castle, Old Town Square, Troja Palace, and the National Museum.

NYCUA1K and TravelBear like this.
  24. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the cab drivers from the airport are ok or regulated.

25. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are not any more regulated. Be sure the meter is turned on, and on some meters, the scam is to have the meter run faster than what it should thereby increasing the cost of your trip. I would stop by the tourist center at the airport tell them where you are going and ask them to give you the approximate cost, then before you get into a cab you can ask the driver how much to where you are going and that way you will have some comparison, I have done this before and it has been very helpful. The other thought is taking the airport bus, public bus to Metro etc. but then that depends on where you are staying and how comfortable you are riding public transportation. For me public transportation is the way to go. There was a TV program on Prague and one of the items covered was the taxi mafia, and also be aware according to the TV program many drivers carry guns.

TravelBear likes this.