Prague Must Do's?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by The Missy, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 5 days in Prague at the end of August. What are the must-dos and must eats?

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that stag and hen party season?

3. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea!

4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ask me this in late June, I have plans to visit earlier in the month.

5. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMGone, are you on my DO-list??? [​IMG]

6. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    yup

jswong likes this.
  7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. ChgoBob
    Original Member

ChgoBob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take some local walking tours, and get the latest restaurant tips while seeing the city. Learn the tram/bus routes and see more than using the subway. Always take the trams/bus up to behind the Castle, and walk DOWNHILL. (Best tips I ever got for Prague and Buda). There are nice restaurants at the top, with great views, and an old monastery
    with their own private ale and a nice lunch.

Beer is much cheaper a few blocks outside of the central tourist district, and U-Flecku is worth a trip (IMO). (Refills are automatic, so pay attention)

deltagoldLass and Gargoyle like this.
  9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed in PRG for 3 weeks in 2007 or so. I got a public transportation pass that let me ride all the buses, trams and subways for about $1 a day. I love that the trams/buses seem to run all night.

10. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Although I'll be training for the 60 mile Breast Cancer walk, so I'll need to do the uphill walks too ;)

ChgoBob likes this.
  11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Here's some link guides:
    http://www.hostelworld.com/itineraries/9/5-days-in-prague
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i335-Three_Days_in_Prague.html

One of my fave cities. I'm not sure if mentioned in these other guides, but take a meal at the restaurant Peklo, which is a 12th century grotto, i think the monks used to use it for a wine cellar? Anyway, if i recall Peklo means "hell" or "inferno" and the underground atmosphere is great. Food not so bad.

As well a visit to the old Jewish Quarter was a pleasant walk and tour. And of course don't forget the local beer brew, the original as they say there. Enjoy.

deltagoldLass and ChgoBob like this.
  12. Frequent Flyer Bonuses

Frequent Flyer Bonuses Z Representative

Status Points:
    That is correct! (Czech was my mother tongue)

13. ariyo15
    Original Member

ariyo15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took a long weekend there about two years ago - what a great place! For sure you should check out the old Jewish quarter as well as seeing the ajdjacent cemetary. While in the area, don't forget to ask/learn about the fabled "golem."

As for beer - it's literally cheaper than water (or at least it was when I was there). My personal favorite is Kozel - it has a picture of a boxing goat on the can. That having been said, I think the local favorite is Pilsner Urquell, brewed in the nearby town of Pilsn.

Another must see is the Prague Castle - not far from the end of the Charles Bridge. And while It's pretty touristy, I also enjoyed a boat ride along the canals which - surprise, surprise - came with free beer :)

14. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not much of an opera person, but did go to see one while in Prague. They had some very upper level seats for $3.50! If you want practice climbing up a bunch of stairs, it'll be a perfect trip!

15. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get out of Praha 1 or even Praha 2 if you want more reasonable food and drink prices. Not to say there aren't great places in the center but like anywhere that's where the tourists congregate. The trams are cheap so just hop on and go!

I second the Jewish Quarter - it's worth the time to visit the various sites. It's very sobering to wander the Jewish Quarter and then make a day trip to Terezin to see the concentration camp the following day. The time I did it I was on a month long wandering through Eastern Europe so I gave myself quite a history lesson between Krakow, Prague and Budapest among other places as well.

Food: You should find a cart selling trdelnik's. Sugar & nut (sometimes with cinnamon) roll-rings. They're not called trdlo's - that's the name of the stick used to cook them.

16. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, being Czech born, having spend 5 years in Prague as student (loong time ago) and returning there every year for at least few days, I'd say 5 days is just enough to give you a taster of Prague only. I agree with most of what have been said here, but depending on where you are coming from, the food may seem to be cheap even in the most central parts of the Prague.

Just to add my 5cents worth:

I would recommend to visit Restaurant Vikarka (not only because they have there Mr Broucek's cellar[​IMG], based on the famous "The True Excursion of Mr Brouček to the Moon" - do your googling if you want to know more) and have some traditional meal with, of course, beer. Do ask for Staropramen if they still have it there - it is brewed in Prague and it used to be my favourite one.

Vikarka is just next to St Vitus Cathedral, in the middle of the Prague Castle. Then you can walk down through "Malá Strana" to Cherles Bridge, pasth the Music Hall, through the old town towards the "Staroměstské náměstí" (Old Town Square) with its famous astronomical clock.

So, this is just taster...

Finally, best way to travel there is day ticket for public transport. Five day ticket is currently 500Kc, which is currently about 20Euro or 28USD. Where else in the world can you have unlimited travel this cheap? More info: http://www.dpp.cz/en/fares-in-prague/

Give me a buzz if you want to know more about accommodation, travel between airport and center etc.

17. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kozel is not brewed in Prague, Pilsen is nearly 100 kms from Prague, so hardly nearby. Local beers are Staropramen, Branik and few others, some of them being sold only where brewed, most famously "flekovské" that is sold only in Restaurant U Fleku. I have spent five years studying in Prague and had dormitory some 300 metres from there and our University canteen was accross the street:D.

And yes, beer is generally in Czech Republic very cheap, particularly for those of us coming from countries with strong currency. I can only dream about paying 25 Kc (1.4 Austalian Dollar) for half a litre of top brew beer here in Australia. But 25Kc can be significant amount of money for many Czechs, so do not be surprised if they tell you it is too expensive. Just to put you in a picture - 0.4 lt of beer U Fleku today costs 59Kc. When I was studying in Prague (graduated 1985), it was 5Kc... And that was the most expensive beer in the whole of Prague!!!

18. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome tips so far! Thanks! Looks like the Jewish Quarter is definitely on the list now!

I must admit though (don't hate) that I don't drink beer. I like cider, but try as I might, I can't develop a taste for beer (or coffee).

We are staying at the Prague Marriott, so airport --> hotel transportation tips would be appreciated! The hotel website says to expect about 890 CZK ($50US) for a taxi which is not out of the question, but if its an easy trip in by bus or shuttle, I'd rather save the $ for other things :)

19. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which Marriott are you staying in? You might find out that the "best deal" is to buy above mentioned five day ticket for public transport, use bus from airport to Dejvice and then "Metro" which is your underground/tube or whatever you want to call it. Of course it depends on how much luggage you have and how much comfort you are looking for. If you decide for taxi, be careful and use only the official ones. Alternatively, the shuttle you mention is not bad either.

21. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Missy, you must try beer in Prague. At least try, it is part of the culture. Otherwise, Czechs are famous for some other stuff too. Another must at least try is "Becherovka". As for the wine, there is some good Czech wine too, but you need someone with knowledge of labels and vintages. I am wine drinker, but when in Czech Republic, drink only beer, so I cannot help with wine.

22. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Prague having a wonderful mass transit system. We tried to stay above ground as much as possible to see as much as possible and it was great and cheap.

23. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a huge fan of public transportation. So I'd take the bus from the airport to a metro station. Bus 119 connects to Metro Line A, Bus 100 connects to Metro Line B.