Practical Traveler: Getting Refunds if the Price Drops after Purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYCUA1K, Feb 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    "You thought you scored a great deal when you found that $200 rate for your $300-a-night hotel. But then you compared notes with other guests and learned that some paid even less. It happens to even the best bargain hunters — whether it is a hotel deal or airfare — and it’s not a good feeling.

Now a growing number of travel sites are offering to track the price after you reserve and to refund you the difference. While at least one, Yapta.com, has long alerted travelers to price drops even after a ticket has been purchased, travelers still had to do the follow-up work, including calling the airline to request the refund. The newer sites do much of that for you.
    Among them are Tingo.com, which had its debut in March from Smarter Travel Media, a subsidiary of TripAdvisor, and CheapAir.com, which in February introduced a program that guarantees to reimburse any price difference before a flight. Orbitz.com, which has been offering refunds for both hotels and airfare a few years, is also worth revisiting in light of these new services." READ MORE...

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do any of these actually work?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used Yapta successfully... years ago. That was before United instituted a "refare" fee that basically eliminated the ability of actually getting any money back from most fare decreases. I don't even bother any more setting flights up for tracking in Yapta. Does anyone else still do it?

Tingo... if you care about earning points/status, it would seem that booking through them isn't going to be a good idea with most chain properties.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only airline I think that this would be really effective with would be Southwest with their free changes.

This kind of stuff can be really good for hotel bookings and car rentals though.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel bookings, unless you reserve a room by Advance Purchase (usually cheaper but quite restrictive), can be changed any time up to check in day (at least that is true for Hilton). I constantly check my hotel reservations for price drops and have often rebooked at lower rates without a penalty. I thus would find little use of this type of service there. I can see how it might be useful for airlines (other than Southwest), which impose penalties for changes...

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm talking about the services that track it....wouldn't it be easier to not have to constantly check the rates yourself?

Mapsmith and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, although I usually have fun doing it myself and I would not need to book through that service or pay a fee if there is one...

Mapsmith likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was no fee or requirement to book through Yapta when I used it same with autoslash when I used that.

Like you, I do check my hotel rates occasionally, but I would prefer a service to do it for me. Would even be willing to pay a fee for it saving me money, but not at the cost of booking through a 3rd party.

skyvan and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booking a hotel through a 3rd party is a no-no for a number of reasons, one of which is to preserve all my privileges as a top elite in case of a snafu. Another is that booking through some "opaque" venues, often at a highly discounted rate, might result in my not accruing any points...