PQMs on flights marked by Star Alliance members?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Rasputin, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rasputin

Rasputin Active Member

Status Points:
    First, I admit that English is not my first language. No matter how many times I read the T&C on United.com, I am not 100% sure how the PQMs are supposed to work for flights marketed by Star Alliance members.

Here are a few snippets from MileagePlus page for Brussels Airlines:
    1. "Earn MileagePlus® miles on all qualifying Brussels Airlines flights, except as noted in the chart below. You’ll earn miles according to the booking class that you purchase."
    2. "The miles you earn on Brussels Airlines qualify toward MileagePlus Premier® status, with 50% bonus MileagePlus Premier qualifying miles for paid first, business or full-fare economy tickets."
    3. "If you purchase a ticket on a flight that is marketed by Brussels Airlines but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn for your flight."

On a recent trip, I flew on Brussels marketed flights - one operated by 9W(Jet Airways) and another operated by UA. When I purchased the award accelerator option prior to the trip, I got the full quota of miles (19,032). But, after finishing the trip, I have not seen either award miles or PQMs for just one flight in my itinerary (SN4134) which was booked in S class.

To give you guys an idea. The trip had a mix of UA marketed flights operated by UA & LH, and two SN marketed flights (1 by UA and 1 by 9W). This is on the same eTicket, everything visible on my United account with the confirmation #. This trip was completed on 9/25.

So, what do you guys think is going to happen?
    (a) I will get award miles only on SN4134 because it is operated by 9W?
    (b) I will get both award miles and PQMs for SN4134?
    (c) Tough luck, I won't get anything.

I have two upcoming trips to SFO(this weekend) and LAS (next month), and I am trying to decide if should go for UA or A3 to hit Silver status. I prefer getting UA silver status because it lets me pick E+ for free at Check-in. But, if I am not going to get PQMs for my SN4134 flight, I will credit my next two flights to A3 to get at least *A silver status.

2. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The key thing here is this part of the 3 rules you posted:
    If the operating airline is not part of *A and does not have any specific agreements in place with the carrier you're crediting too, you're not going to get anything, even if the marketing carrier is *A. Normally that's the end of the story, however in this case, while 9W is not in *A, but it does have a specific agreement with UA (see here), so you may still be able to get something. The page says:
    Based on that, the route should be eligible (SN4134 is MAA-BRU, right?), so now it comes down to the booking class that 9W (not SN) used for the flight. It has to be Y, M, T, U, N, L, Q or S. This one is going to be hard to determine though and you may have no other option than to request missing mileage credit and hope it's one of those classes. Do you happen to have the 9W boarding pass with the 9W flight number (not the SN one)? That might show it the right booking class.

If you get credit, it will be RDMs and PQMs, all or nothing.

Rasputin likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not PQMs on Jet-operated flights. :-:

At best the OP can get RDMs but that's not a certainty.

Rasputin likes this.
  4. Rasputin

Rasputin Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you fellas. I think I still kept that 9W boarding pass for the MAA-BRU segment. I will check it when I go home later in the evening.

From the wording on the UA page for 9W, it seems like I am going to get RDMs only and not PQMs. I sent an email to MileagePlus also, but I doubt that they will answer all the questions.

I already tried the missing mileage credit form last week, but I gave the SN flight number. On reading the instructions again, it says I should provide the 'Operating' airlines flight number. This hints at RDMs only, because if I provide 9W flight number, then UA is not going to care about whether SN marked it or not.

Thank you again, for pointing out the importance of 'Operating' airline.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the best possible outcome for you.