PQM to keep Premiere 1k

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Chagen, Oct 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Chagen

Chagen New Member

Status Points:
    With two and a half months left, I will be about 20,000 qualifying miles short of maintaining my Premiere 1k status, and only 10 free days to potentially travel to add additional flights. Looking for ideas to earn or buy qualifying miles to keep my 1k status. Please help.

2. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you based? If you're on a coast, a few quick transcons could solve this problem.

3. Chagen

Chagen New Member

Status Points:
    I am based in Miami. Which would be the best trans con flts to earn the most PQM's for the least $?

4. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are your 10 days consecutive or limited to weekends? If you have wrap-around weekends you can play with, you can potentially go a lot farther and get a better (lower) CPM. Also, in the fall/winter, when I was East coast based, I always preferred the redeye to Europe, same plane back to the U.S. Leave on a Saturday, back on a Sunday. Europe fares always seemed to be a good deal in the fall/winter. Check out TheFlightDeal.com for fares from MIA.

5. brfong

brfong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also need 20,000 to qualify for 1k. I am doing fll-ewr-hkg-gum-hnl-ewr-fll over 3 days for about $1,400 earning 21,070 miles (6.6 cpm). Funny thing, the upgrade priced out at 20,000 miles and $75 for the entire itn.

8MiHi and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. Chagen

Chagen New Member

Status Points:
    how long ago did you book and through whom did you book?

7. brfong

brfong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oct 1 for Nov 8 at united.com. I was looking at Guam as a destination. Never been to this UA hub. The ITA iPad app helped in finding the cheapest time. The ticket booked as an L fare.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    It varies based on phase of the moon and how willing you are to add extra segments.

For specific deals, check the mile run forums both here and at TOBB. http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/mileage-runs-travel-hacking.6/

I also suggest looking at FareCompare's map tool: http://www.farecompare.com/maps/ In general, I would see what fares are to ANC (long route, no customs fees, etc.), the various Hawai'i airports, major west coast cities (SFO, LAX, SEA, PDX), and lesser west coast cities (PHX, SAN, SNA). LAS can be a great mileage run city. MRY can be good -- it's often only slightly more than SFO, and it gets you an extra segment.

Constructing the best routing out of that is a bit trickier. I suggest ITA with the "show cents per mile" option enabled. Once you've found something good, try adding extra segments for extra miles: e.g., in the routing rules, put "ua ua ua+" to force 3+ segments. http://matrix.itasoftware.com/?showPricePerMile=true You'll likely find the best $/mile by making a stupid routing such as MIA-IAD-IAH-LAX-DEN-ANC and then back. Even just MIA-IAD-IAH-ANC will be helpful. I posted some ex-BOS deals on the mileage run forum here, one of which was routed BOS-IAH-EWR-DUB -- the possibilities are endless. Kayak's "flexible date" tool is one of my favorites, but it doesn't add stupid extra segments the way ITA can.

For more techniques, do some google searches for "mileage run" or "constructing mileage run" and see what other people advise.

jetsetr likes this.
  9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep another approach in mind, too, which is "where have you been wanting to go?" Or perhaps "what friend have I not seen in a while?" Maybe you can make one or more of these mileage runs focus around something other than sitting on airplanes.

10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the "I'm in the mood for (insert fav food/beverage here) and fly to that place for it. A German beer in Germany or a nice Chinese dinner in China for example. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

traveltoomuch and brfong like this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are willing to be away from your family on Thanksgiving Day, that is a day when they may be trying to fill seats, even if at a bargain. It won't get you all the way there, but it would help if you can do it as a day run.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  12. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have similar issue , I am 1K this year and would need about 700 miles for next year qualification. However I will not able to fly this year ! Any suggestion ?

Thanks,
    GreenCal

13. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    700 miles? That's it? Easiest thing is to book a ticket, buy-up the extra RDMs and EQMs, then refund the ticket.