PQM for "Choices" option discontinued?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, May 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is indeed gone because even the T&C of the Choices Program have been scrubbed clean, i.e., they no longer mention the RDM-for-PQM option. It is typical: they introduced the No Forex Fee benefit for the Explorer to great fanfare, while quietly doing away with another valuable benefit. I wonder when they were planning on telling the members...:(

3. festdave

festdave Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My OP links to TOBB (I assume you mean Flyertalk). That was my source for the information, I didn't discover it on my own :)

I have never used this feature, but always considered a useful insurance against last minute flight cancellations that might cause me to fall short of the threshold. I suppose I could now buy a last minute refundable flight, buy PQM, then cancel the flight. 10+ US cents per PQMs vs. 10 RDM.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I looked, buying PQMs will cost me $0.13 plus the RDM cost (which varies). I currently have over 95,000 miles flown and/or booked for the year. Like last year, the closer I get to 1K,, the more pricey the PQMs.

I can talk out of both sides of my mouth on this topic. On the one hand, it feels like punishment for being a loyal frequent flier. OTOH, it would suck if they made it too cheap for everyone to buy up to 1K and reduce the chances of those of us earning it the hard way to benefit from our CPUs, RPUs and GPUs.

All that said, June seems a bit early to make the price a disincentive to the point that one would have to be desperate to pay what they are charging. Im having an argument with myself in my head the more I write, so I think Ill stop and get back to work now. ;)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked the price of PQMs using the offer in my long-haul trip to PVG from JFK at the end of the month and they are going for $0.106, including the RDMs. That is the lowest that the cost ever got last year. Then after about Q3, the cost climbed to as high as $0.18/PQM, before dropping again to $0.106 in January when I decided to buy 30K PQMs. As a result of that move, I have already booked trips that now get me to $113K PQM in November in fewer flights than usual, which means that for the first time I had just the right number of GPUs. I just burned 2 of my last three on a TATL trip, which I seldom bother upgrading. This leaves me with 1 GPU, which I will burn on the way back from Asia in January 2014, after redeeming miles to fly in C on the outbound flight in December. I think that I will again buy PQMs in January because it makes it a lot easier to requalify and it may even cost me less.
    I think that it is still way too early for the PQM costs to go up. People are not yet desperate.;)

Although I had been aware of the PQM Choices program since the PMUA days, I never found it necessary to use that option to re-qualify, so I am not all broken up by its demise...