PQDs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redreusam, Apr 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. redreusam

redreusam Silver Member

Status Points:
    This may be in here somewhere but can't seem to find it including the UAL website. Two PQD quick questions (maybe):

I am assuming when you take the buy-up to first class from a purchased economy ticket, then that revenue counts towards the PQD total?

What about the revenue from a miles/money upgrade? Does that count as well towards the PQD total?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might, but maybe not. If they reissue the ticket and change the underlying base fare it will. If not it won't. Buy-ups on the day of travel explicitly are stated as not supposed to count (nor change the booked fare class for mileage-earning reasons). Outside of that window it very much is a YMMV situation.

No.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. redreusam

redreusam Silver Member

Status Points:
    So as an example, if I were to choose well ahead of time to "buy up" to first through the upgrade reservation module on an existing reservation for $800+ dollars from EWR-LAX, that $800+ (minus any taxes) would not count towards PQDs? Seems a bit of a rip-off to me...

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It might not. I agree that it should, but I wasn't asked when they were writing the rules.

8MiHi and gregm like this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have bought up at the kiosk a couple of times and earned both the PQDs and the class of service bonuses. It could be that my UG was the actual fare difference, thus put me into the higher fare class, but I didn't know that at the time. It is definitely not transparent.

If you have checked the UG prices online prior to date of departure, perhaps you would be able to determine if the kiosk UG is the same, but they are often not available. It is a very opaque process.

I just buy up if I want to guarantee my seat for the price offered, and if the other benefits come along, I'm just that much more pleased with my decision. Sometimes I just don't feel like squeezing into economy, so I pay. There is no way to know that at the time of booking, as I usually book weeks or months in advance.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. redreusam

redreusam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys - all very interesting for sure. Have been with CO and now UA for a long time; seems to just get more convoluted every year.

Counsellor, 8MiHi and KenInEscazu like this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realize it's just April, but I nominate this as the biggest understatement post of the year! ;)

Counsellor and 8MiHi like this.
  8. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do "International Surcharges" count towards PQD? They aren't government imposed so I believe they should.

Thanks,
    Rob

9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you are referring to fuel surcharges.

8MiHi likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA (and many others) changed the name for YQ fees to International Surcharges once it was pointed out that they didn't track anywhere close to fuel prices. :oops:

And, yes, they do count towards PQDs.

genemk2 and 8MiHi like this.
  11. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like you earn the fare class bonuses when you buy up into an eligible fare class that has bonuses, but you don't earn PQD for the dollars it takes for you to buy-up unless you re-price/re-purchase the ticket.

genemk2 likes this.
  12. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    all related fees,buyups, etc should be counted towards PDQs-nest ce pas? And when will airlines change ticket pricing instead of nickel 7 diming...? when reregulated as infrastructure industries?

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We might want that but it very much is not the published policy.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  14. redreusam

redreusam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I finally called Mileage Plus and asked them straight out about the "buy up" from Coach to First and whether that additional charge counts and was told that yes it would be counted towards your PQDs for the year as it's a change of fare class. Now I wonder whether it will happen or not and whether I should call again and speak to another agent.

8MiHi and violist like this.
  15. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you got the agent's contact information.
    First you say your pretty please,
    Fiddle with your PQDs,
    Craft your query with intent,
    And document, document, document.
    [apologies]

alanro, 8MiHi and MrLincoln like this.