PQD Tax Discrepancy - Confirmation Page and Confirmation Email

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by genemk2, Jul 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been noticing that there is a discrepancy between the PQD numbers that appear on the reservation page and confirmation page when you book a ticket on United.com, and the PQD numbers that appear on the e-ticket confirmation email.

In the screenshots below, you can clearly see that at the confirmation page the fare is listed as $129, with $22 in taxes and fees. But on my e-ticket confirmation for that reservation, you can see that the fare has changed to $120, with $31 in taxes and fees. The extra $9 comes from the "U.S. Federal Transportation Tax" which isn't displayed on the confirmation page.

Has anyone else noticed that? Could be significant if you're buying expensive tickets, since that tax is 7.5% of the base fare. Only applies to domestic tickets.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A great example of United doing what they do best right now which is nickel and diming us all. :rolleyes:

snod08 likes this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    w:rolleyes:w

why am i not surprised?

4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is significant and upsets the PQD numbers a bit. I'd send UA an email with this exact information. I wonder if the DOT would be interested in this.

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just sent an email to insider [at] united.com and Jeff Smisek. I gave them 7 days to respond before I send an email to DOT.

Hartmann and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know simply they won't, but a lot of this could be solved by including tax in the PQD calculation.

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or correctly displaying the tax during the reservation process. They can do it in the e-ticket process, they just need to program it better.

Flyer1976, Gtitan and Hartmann like this.
  8. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, although my solution is ________ friendly. :D

Flyer1976 and genemk2 like this.
  9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't anything evil or intentional in what they are doing. It is exactly how they have described they would calculate PQD and it is what I expected.

Published airfares have always included the percentage federal tax, while the fixed fees like segment fees, PFCs and TSA fees have been listed separately. That's really no change from how it has ever been presented in the past, and in the first screen it didn't list "taxes and fees", it said "Additional taxes/fees" which I read to mean that taxes/fees that are in addition to the percentage federal transportation tax. I never expected them to count percentage federal transportation tax in the PQD calculation.

There are a lot more compelling examples of nickel and diming us. I don't think this is particularly egregious although it does also portend even more reduction in RDM earnings coming under the new dollar scheme. They were always pretty clear that the PQD calculation would be net of taxes and fees.

I doubt DOT will be interested. In fact their regulations may require that the fare include the 7.5% transportation tax in the marketing screens.

They may be precluded from breaking it out during the marketing process.

10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. One screen shows $22 in Additional Taxes/Fees, whereas the Email Confirmation (obtained after buying the ticket) shows $31 in Additional Taxes/Fees.

The PQD calculation is made on the information provided only in the email confirmation process, which contradicts the information provided while making the reservation. I don't think it's nickel and diming, but I do think that there should be consistency. This might not seem like much on a $150 ticket, but if you're paying $1500 for a ticket, it would be a nearly $100 discrepancy in the number of PQDs you expect to earn, and that you actually earn. Or, over the course of a year, $750 discrepancy if you're making 1K.

11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is since the tax is variable based on fare it can be included, the 9/11 fee is static and know based on your travel from point to point along with the pax Fac fee, although a $100 base vs $1000 has different excise taxes. Also typical excise taxes are rolled into the cost of product.

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't disagree that there's a misleading aspect to how it's shown, but did you really expect it to be done any differently? They've always said it would be net of fees, and the number listed as the airfare has always included the excise tax, even when they used to advertise the fares without the other taxes.

As it is, I find the PQD calculations pretty mysterious for connecting itineraries.

mht_flyer likes this.
  13. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect the website to display the exact same information that my e-ticket displays.

Weatherboy, mht_flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've come to expect the exact opposite. Possibly a random number generator programmed in. :p Boy am I cheeky today.

mht_flyer likes this.