PQD requirements for 2016 announced - 20% higher

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Nov 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    MX, Newscience, 8MiHi and 1 other person like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    $mi$ek: "I lack the 'vision thing'. I have no imagination whatsoever, but who cares when I can just be a copycat and be proud of it?"...

traveltoomuch, mht_flyer, MX and 2 others like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United has always and will continue to be a laggard in this industry. They have to be delusional if they think that they can match Delta's Loyalty Program without a similar superior operational reliability and customer service in place. United is just about behind on everything and continues to be an narcissistic company when they want to develop long term profitability and market share.

mht_flyer, MX and Newscience like this.
  4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    When Smisek's biography hits the shelves I'm sure none of us will be surprised that the answer to the question, "who was your biggest influence?" won't be "Bethune" or "God" or anything like that...

It will simply be "Richard Anderson".

mikeschu, rggale, NYCUA1K and 9 others like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    "narcissistic" :confused:

I'm pretty sure that's not at all what it has going on as a company.

As for always being behind, remind me which US carrier had flat beds on all long-haul C seats first. Or which has the most long-haul planes with wifi. Or lie-flat on transcons first.

UA is hardly perfect, but it is also hardly a total debacle.

rggale, mht_flyer, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. And, honestly, while DL does a lot of things really well, they also lag way behind in others. I'd also add mobile app and website functionality to that list. Sure, DL's website is prettier, but UA's is considerably more functional and reliable. And there's really no comparison when it comes to mobile tools. The UA app has always been a far better product than the DL one, going back to before the merger when it was the CO app. Again, DL had the advantage on style and prettiness of the app, but the current version of the UA app has pretty much evened the score on look and feel. Yet it still offers far more functionality and is a much easier to use product than the DL equivalent.

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish the announcement thread would have simply been a link to the Delta announcement. That would have been icing on the cake.

8. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not worried about hitting any higher PQD requirement, but sure would be nice to see some originality.

mht_flyer and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's outside of our control so what will be will be.
    2015 is shaping up by design to be a very light year of airline travel for me regardless so I guess I'll just see where things end up at year end.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

10. agentnero

agentnero Member

Status Points:
    United has treated me well as a 1K customer. I am very happy with my decision to stay brand loyal to this company.

While it sucks that I have to spend more to keep my status, at the end of the day I don't mind because it filters out another layer of non-loyalists and keeps me on top of the food chain for upgrades, etc. The more frequent travelers who migrate to Delta, the better for me!

brfong, mht_flyer, bonnerbl and 2 others like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    $10k spend (of my own money) is no longer enough and makes me a non-loyalist?

Out of curiosity, are you using your own money to be loyal, or are you traveling on OPM?

konoyaro, mht_flyer and Newscience like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This came up before. $mi$ek is almost definitely afflicted with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD)

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, DL doesn't have the requirement of four DL flights.

mht_flyer and Newscience like this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With UA emulating DL's every move, can anyone tell me why passengers should bother with UA (the copy) rather than simply flying with DL, the 'real thing' which has it together from reliability and business ends of things?

chitownflyer and Newscience like this.
  15. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I agree UA could use a bit more originality, I believe that with the merging of the airlines and the overall reduction in flights that they concluded that there were just too many of us. So their aim has been to get the Premier program smaller and more profitable. This 2016 change probably does that. Once UA is comfortable with the numbers, then we may see marketing getting to play a bit.
    I agree with agentnero that the program can work for those whose expectations include UA making money - something airlines rarely used to do.
    After the Great Culling there will be fewer Premiers, so the experience at each level is likely to improve.

Newscience likes this.
  16. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably for the same reason that people who do nothing but troll and complain about UA yet consistently post on the UA message board instead of simply going over to the DL board.

:rolleyes:

17. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because it's about the lines and the times? I fly UA, not DL or AA, because I am based at a UA hub. I can fly direct at good times, where on DL and AA, I must connect.

18. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everything you wrote. But what I don't understand about this change is why they made it before the final 2014 numbers were known. In other words, they just changed it to put the PQD requirement in, and we haven't seen its effect yet on the MileagePlus program membership. There are 1.5 months left of travel, including the busiest travel day of the year.

I guess UA MP staff may have looked at the numbers to-date, and the numbers already were too high (compared to whatever metrics they set when they announced the original changes).

I guess we'll never know.

19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    These changes are for the 2016 Program Garp74 so it doesn't affect 2015 that much since we are still requalifying for the 2015 Program year.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  20. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

:D:D:D

ACMM and NYCUA1K like this.
  21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one reason but insufficient...

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't these puerile taunts get old? Your comment, by the way, is stupid because anyone who spends enough money on UA to be a top elite automatically earns the right to bitch about UA.

The floor is yours. Knock yourself out...

23. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't even know how to reply to this. It feels like you are replying irrationally, but maybe I'm misunderstanding? For a frequent traveler, lines and times are crucial. If I fly IAD<->SEA, why would I fly DL or AA and connect through ATL or DFW, when I can fly direct three times a day in either direction on UA? Because DL or AA will give me a better mileage program reward? How is that a rational choice for a frequent traveler? My time per hour is worth a lot more to both my company and to my family than any extra mileage program rewards!

EDIT: Do you see I have 100 segments this year? If I connected to get extra mileage program rewards, the number of extra travel hours would be, what? 200 hours? 300 hours? Something like that? That's 10-15 DAYS of extra travel!!

2nd EDIT: Are you biased because you live in NY (I assume from your username) and you have many more options than most U.S. frequent fliers? Just curious.

24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Deadly rationale.The big 3 US airlines are national-wide and international. They may be heavily concentrated in some areas but each of the big 3, especially after the mega-mergers, have pretty good coverage throughout (not to mention anti-monopoly watchdogs ensuring that no one is too strong anywhere). Therefore, while neither LGA nor JFK was a UA hub (before the ERW days) I had no trouble getting to most places flying UA only and I suspect that I would not have much trouble getting to places flying DL only.

25. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think your provincial NYer bias is showing here. For you to state that flying times and direct flight availability vs. connecting is an insufficient reason to choose one airline over another belies your inability to put yourself in someone else's non-NY area shoes.

gpaya, radonc1951 and ACMM like this.