Power outage at an airport?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gobluetwo, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at BDL last night, waiting for my flight home. Hanging out in the US lounge around 6pm, the lights dimmed a couple of times, flickered, then went out. One of the lounge attendants opened the door to the main terminal and found that all the lights were out there, too. Looking out the window of the terminal showed that it was pretty much the entire airport which had lost power. Only lasted a few minutes, but it was a bit eerie and the timing seemed a bit random. A nice respite, though, from the ongoing coverage of the Herman Cain allegations on TV!

Anyone else ever been in an airport during a power outage? I can certainly understand power outages during severe weather, but it was still in the 60's and clear. I'm guessing they had to interrupt power due to some work they were doing to restore lines around the area, which was hit pretty hard last during last week's snowstorm.

N965VJ likes this.
  2. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    No yappin' TVs for a while?

Sounds like heaven! :D

Scottrick likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    TVs are the almost the worst part of the airport. There a lots of other annoying things, sure, but I can't do anything about them so I tolerate them. There's no regulation forcing the airport to install TVs, which is why it's so darn aggravating that they still have them.

N965VJ likes this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree wrt to the non-stop headline news coverage, however, I have become mesmerized by the UA screens listing Update/Standby/Cleared passengers! :) (of course, if they had audio, it would prob make it less appealing)

N965VJ and Scottrick like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

Maybe Skymall sells this for a quick US Grand Slam hit :)

N965VJ likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's see.... Power Outages in DEL... NBO... and a few other African Airports so I guess yeah...

N965VJ likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO had a power outage about 10 years ago as I was flying in from HNL. Not sure how complete it was; by the time we landed power was back but the baggage took forever to come out and the claim area was zoo because of the earlier flights' bags coming out with massive delay.

N965VJ likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been thinking about buying one. I just worry I'll be charged as a terrorist if I try it in an airport. (Disrupting the peace, interfering with electronic devices, I dunno) "Inappropriate jokes about airport security will not be tolerated and may result in your arrest." :rolleyes: Even the warning acknowledges that it's a joke.

N965VJ and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm so glad they're keeping those. Combined with CO's upgrade waitlist info on my phone, I am always on top of things. The only thing about them I don't like is they seem to be operated from a central server and can be a little slow, like an unbufferred video.

N965VJ and canucklehead like this.
  10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slight aside to this thread, but the UA/CO app is great for seat availability and upgrade listing. I was awaiting my PS upgrade last night (#1) on the list. From the LCD screen I knew there were 2 seats and 2 on the list.

From the app, I knew there was one seat in row 9 and one in row 10. #2 was hovering around the GA and was waved away until they called him, no problem, as I was nearby also! :D The GA looked at both of us and quickly figured out who was #1 on the list and asked me for the boarding pass. I quickly asked if seat in 9 was assigned. He said probably not as a lot of people prefer that row, until he checked it out and said with a slight surprise "You're in luck!". The other agent leaned over and said with a smile, "or someone has done this before, the app is very useful!" :D -- I had to agree!

N965VJ, Scottrick and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I have to scramble to keep my gf and I sitting together, the seat map becomes very useful. Instead of "Do you have any seats together?" I can ask for a specific pair, which IMO makes it easier for the agent. At the very least I can look for seats near each other, or that would be fairly easy to get someone to switch with.

N965VJ, Flyer1976 and canucklehead like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many years ago, while on a delayed flight attempting to land at PHL during bad thunderstorms at night, the lights suddenly went out when we were a few feet off the ground. The pilot aborted the landing and we flew back to JFK. This was mainline TWA on a narrow body jet. It was an interesting experience. I later learned that the computer system showed us as having landed, but no one at the airport could see an airplane, so there was a bit of panic and not good information available.

N965VJ and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ACARS system probably logged the flight as having landed.

N965VJ likes this.
  14. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had it happened once in CGK when checking in on an early morning domestic GA flight to DPS last year. Absolute chaos in the check-in hall which was very hot and stuffy. Amazingly, the flight departed more or less on schedule. Understood from the check-in staff that it wasn't the first time it happened.

lwkatya and N965VJ like this.
  15. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Biggest most recent was the one in CLE a few back that I can think of. Most major airports have their own generators so it would be unlikely to see JFK loose all power.

N965VJ likes this.
  16. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last summer at ORY - the terminal not the airport - had I not sneaked past the guards to go up the stairs and have a fully manual inspection of my bags I might still be in Paris...;) Also once at LGA - again at the terminal check in area. If I hadn't printed my BP at home, I would have been in trouble.

N965VJ likes this.
  17. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's awesome! :D I used to keep a universal remote in my bag for hotwiring the Spectravision boxes, but I could also have fun down in the bar. Imagine some game on the TV you didn't care about; switch the channel to Oprah. Great way to get your butt kicked! :eek:

canucklehead likes this.
  18. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    A long time ago (before I had any lounge access) I had a looong power outage at AKL. Flight was delayed several hours, amazingly the onward flight was held for me with aircraft to aircraft transfer across the tarmac. Of course bags didn't make it and it took 2 weeks for bags to catch up with me. Since then I try very hard not to check bags (only the really tiny 19 seat a/c where it is unavoidable).

19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never been in a power outage at an airport, but in this day and age of the TSA thinking they are holier than anyone or anything else, I would loathe to have to be "re-screened" by those people if a power outage happened.

20. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a UA flight from LAX to HNL several years ago. About an hour out from HNL the captain announced that we were diverting to KOA because HNL was without power. We were on the ground at KOA for about an hour. They added fuel but did not allow us off the plane. (They did allow a few passengers whose ultimate destination was Kona to deplane, however.) The 767 then proceeded on to HNL, which was still without power, because they were now able to accept the flight. As we came in I could see the eerie sight of O'ahu without power. There were a few scattered lights, but the island was a big dark mass. The runway lights were on, but the terminal was completely dark. They kept us on the plane while they unloaded the baggage using flashlights and vehicle headlights. We then deplaned via stairs (no jetway power!) to buses that took us curbside to a darkened baggage claim area where they had lined up all of the luggage. It was very tough to hail a cab under the darkened airport viaduct. It felt good to get home! I was grateful to the United staff that went the extra mile to get me there. They could have just left us sitting at KOA for the duration of the power outage.

cennas and gobluetwo like this.