Potentially overcharged taxes/fees on AAward; any recourse?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mangoMan, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mangoMan

mangoMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Sept. I booked four one-way AAwards DUS-LHR-LAX-SFO in F with the first two segments on BA. I was charged approx. $475 in fees per ticket (not including phone booking fee). I had the AAgent double-check the fees when I booked the ticket (she put me on hold and said she had confirmed it with some other dept. - I forget what she called it). But now, when I price out the same itinerary on BA, I only see about $360 in taxes/fees. Same if I price the itinerary on ITA.

It seems AA overcharged me, or the fuel surcharges have dropped in the last few weeks. Or is there something else I could be missing? Is it possible to even contest something like this? Anybody deal with something like this before?

Thanks in advance!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm on the train so doing this on the fly....

How soon did you fly after booking? Was part of this a fee for booking within the 20 day window?

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I come up with about $400 in fees currently, there's some currency fluctuation possible of course. Seems like you could get an AAgent to provide you the full fare calculation details for your ticket and find out what they're charging you.

4. mangoMan

mangoMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The BA website was pricing it at ~260 euros, which is about $360. How are you pricing it? I did ask the AAgent to provide details and was told they can't see the breakdown and therefore couldn't provide it to me. 'Spoze I should call back.

5. mangoMan

mangoMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention travel dates....it's not until summer 2012.

6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's going to rather difficult, since it is a OW award using AA miles.

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milePoint mangolicious! Congratulations on your first two posts :)