potential name issue with UA-LH ticket- my name didn't transfer properly

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redwoman, Jul 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I tried search TOBB and this one for over an hour, sorry if it's under my nose. I was told by a LH agent at the main US CS number that I would be denied boarding in FRA, because my name shows up in the LH system as "Jane A Doe", while my passport has a middle name on it.

I booked an itin SFO-FCO on united.com, SFO-FRA on UA, connecting to FRA-FCO on LH. Return is FCO-FRA on LH, connecting to FRA-SFO on UA. Ticket begins with "016" issued by UA. I got one record locator for the ticket with all 4 flights, and another record locator for the LH flights. All of this was expected, based upon similar itins flown in the past few years.

I am a US citizen, UA FF member, enrolled in global Entry, and I have used GE and TSA precheck successfully several times going back to 2012. My name is "Jane Annabel Doe" on everything, including my passport. My GE known traveler number, passport number, are saved into my UA FF profile. My UA FF name is "Jane Annabel Doe" as well.

My name shows up on LH website when I retrieved my booking recently, as "Janeadr Doe", which is what it looks like on my UA boarding passes as of late. "Dr" is my title on UA FF account. My known traveler number is in the LH reservation when I view it online, but my passport number and first, middle and last names aren't visible. I get an error instructing me to call the LH service number (main US number) when I try to add my correct names and passport number, issuing country, etc. to the reservation. SO, I called and a not super-concerned agent told me that I would be denied boarding in FRA, because my name appears in the LH system as "Jane A Doe".

A call to the UA 1K desk resulted in an agent not willing to tell me I'd be OK, but she did disappear for 10 minutes, and said that she talked with about 4 other agents, who had never heard of this being a problem. She said that she would have to cancel and rebook my ticket under a different name if I was worried about it, but the fares have gone up substantially.

Does anyone think that I have a high chance of being denied boarding either FRA-FCO or FCO-FRA? Related: how about BP's for LH flights? Would I need to re-check in at FRA for the FRA-FCO flight or get to FCO early to argue with the agent because they won't want to give me a BP?

anileze and Newscience like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will be just fine. There simply aren't enough fields to write out the complete info on a BP so it is routinely shortened/abbreviated. I have been in your situation many times, including the insertion of the "dr" part, as recently as 4 months ago for a trip to BUD on UA and LH flights...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    redwoman, alfagirl and Newscience like this.
  3. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. That is it. I usually have the last letter of my first name truncated, middle name blank, and last name truncated to the first 17 digits. I have never had a problem, except for the fact that >90% of the time the agents are in awe of my last name and call other agents over to note the 'phenomena'. You should not have a problem. Ymmv

redwoman, Newscience and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My UA tickets always have my full name on them, but
    my codeshare tickets booked on united.com have always
    for years been issued with the format Last FirstXMr where
    X is my middle initial. Never a problem.

redwoman, Newscience and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think as long as your name on your ID is not Mike Smith you'll be okay. Its similar enough to real deal that they'll understand the truncated space for names.

Newscience and redwoman like this.
  6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Thanks to all who replied. My name really isn't as simple as Jane A Doe, so I think I'll be OK. :D

Pizzaman likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have a pretty lengthy last name and I'm in awe of your last name. ;)

alfagirl and iolaire like this.
  8. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your name has 17 digits? :p

My middle name is never on my tickets, just one letter (but it's on all my profiles and IDs). As others have noted, this is pretty normal so you should be fine.

Your full name is usually separately requested as part of your passport info (or secure flight info). That's where having the full name actually matters.

alfagirl likes this.
  9. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, first name 4 characters, middle name 8 characters, last name 21 characters!!!

anileze likes this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    @redwoman if you make the SFO FRA, you will make the FCO flight too. Simply because UA let you board and issued you onward BPass.