Pot problem experience at The Avenue CP Chicago.

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by thrashsoundly, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    My recent trip to Chicago for the first time was a blast and for the most part I had a positive experience staying at The Avenue Crowne Plaza. The room I stayed in was great – I was upgraded to a suite, even while staying on points.

However, there was an incident that happened during my stay which was rather unsatisfactory.

When we checked in on Tuesday afternoon, I noticed a strange, but strong odor in the hallway near our room. I couldn't place the smell, and just dismissed it, thinking it wouldn't be a problem. After a short while, we decided to leave the hotel to go out for the afternoon and evening. When we left the room, I noticed the odor was somewhat stronger than before and finally realized the odor was marijuana. We actually went down the elevator at the same time as another couple staying in the room next to us. This couple also smelled like marijuana, so I was able to immediately figure out the source.

When we arrived back at the hotel around 9 or so, the odor was again strong in the hallway, but this time the odor had wafted into our room as well, either through the adjoining air conditioner unit, or under the door. As it was quite unpleasant, I immediately called down to the front desk to explain the problem and asked for it to be taken care of. I was assured that security would look into the matter.

A few minutes after I got off the phone, I could hear the couple next door leave, and after a while the odor dissipated. We stayed in the room the rest of the evening to relax and security never came up to check.

The couple came back to their room after 12:30 am and brought a couple friends. They were quite loud and started up the marijuana use again. I could smell it in my room and in the hallway. I decided to walk down to the front desk to explain the situation and try to get a response. The front desk clerk alerted security, and they said they'd take care of the problem, so I went back up to my room.

After a few minutes the security guy came up and talked to my neighbor down the hallway. I couldn't hear the entire conversation, but got a few things out of it:
    1.) The guard told the neighbor to quiet down.
    2.) The guard was agreeable when the neighbor suggested he put a towel under the door to keep the odor from leaving the room.
    3.) The two seemed pretty jovial about the matter as if were not a big deal.
    4.) The guard did not even check room 2616, as I would have expected

When the guard left, I could hear the neighbors laughing for a while and joked that "nothing unusual was going on in here." They also laughed that all the guard suggested was that they turn their music down. The group did quiet down eventually, but the marijuana continued. At times I heard them spraying something which I assumed to be air freshener, but the marijuana odor was still strong, even in our room.

At that point, I was too tired to pursue further action, but I did have to close the door to the bedroom in our suite to keep the smell from wafting from our living room and bothering us while trying to fall asleep.

We were in a hurry to leave the next morning, so I didn’t have a chance to talk to the hotel manager, so instead I sent an e-mail explaining my dissatisfaction with what transpired overnight.

I’ve received a reply to the e-mail, but was curious to see what folks on MP would deem a suitable response from the hotel before I post the result.

What do you think of the situation and what response would you expect?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next time just call 911 when the hotel ignores this. The odor alone is probable cause for police to enter and handle things.

Were you on a non-smoking floor? If anything, the fact they were smoking ANYTHING should have been a problem, if so.

3. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was on a non-smoking floor, and you're right, the hotel staff should have better acknowledged the problem.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep Call 911.

thrashsoundly, uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chill and ask for a hit.....

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did get a reply from the hotel's assistant general manager expressing concern and dissatisfaction with the way the situation was handled and explained the zero tolerance policy of the hotel. He mentioned that the staff would undergo further training so that a similar event would not reoccur. As a token of apology he also offered to reimburse 5000 of my PC points from my stay.

I'm reasonably happy with the response. Thoughts?

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    While one can argue if it should be legal, the fact that there was smoking on a non-smoking floor is the biggest issue I have with the whole situation. There are people who have major breathing problems, and on a non-smoking floor should not be put at such risk.

However it is possible that the security guard did not know what marijuana smells like (There was actually a teacher at my high school that did not know what it smelled like, and only learned about it when she commented to another teacher about the pleasant smell coming out of one of the bathrooms).

As for the reimbursement, I honestly think it is a bit low for the issue, but if you are happy with it, then it is good.

8. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take a chill pill maybe regarding the substance being smoked? However, smoking anything on a non-smoking floor is not on.

9. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Until one gets tested at his job and then has to worry about if the amount wafting under the door is enough to register on the test. Or If something happens at the hotel and the stoned couple in the neighboring room is incapable of coherence and is now a danger to you or others [I know, similar to being too drunk :eek:]. Or now has that faint smell of pot on her clothes and the new client notices. Moreover, regardless of the so called "medical" uses, pot is still illegal everywhere. While there may be lax enforcement in some places, that does not change existing law. Lastly, maybe the pot smoking couple should have taken a chill and respected the other guests in the hotel - OP included. OP had more restraint than most folks would have in this situation and not even norml should be upset here.

Cheers

LETTERBOY likes this.