Posting language

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by excelsior, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an animated discussion on in TOBB/FT (may i add in a far more fraught atmosphere than the pleasant one here) on whether threads other than in english are Ok.

Im not planning to start a non english thread on MP But I would be interested in opinions on the subject from fellow posters in this environment.

Thanks

lin821 likes this.
  2. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was not sure where to post this..if I need to repost elsewhere say the word and I will do so.

3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forums like this are international/world-wide, so I personally don't think English be the only language used? Not everyone's first language is English nor is everyone fluent in English.

Sometimes I read a post where the OP needs information/assistance and that person is not a native English speaker nor has a good grasp of English. When that happens I find myself asking more questions in order to help them and wishing the individual had written their post in their native language or posted their question in their native language and English.

I find that many sites/forums have people that speak multiple languages so a post will get answered, it just may not get as many "looks" as one written in English.

Personally, I think American's should learn and embrace a second language.

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many people feel that Americans should start by learning to speak English. :p

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    LMAO! HUSH!

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wanted - ooo yes I wanted to say this .. but ... :p

lin821, deant and Gargoyle like this.
  7. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Much as I hate to admit it ...The major major reason that English is the international language of choice is that Americans speak it...if the founding fathers of that country had voted instead for German (which lost by 2 votes apparently) we would all be sprechenzeing Deutsch!

8. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think to ensure that as many as possible can jump in a thread and help out, people should try to write in English. I'm not saying non-English threads are not OK, I'm just thinking it would only be to the posters benefit if he/she gives English a go, even if that means running it through a translator.
    An added bonus is that the more you use it the more you'll improve, and as a traveler English is more or less a must. As the Norwegian philosopher Arne Næss once said, the most spoken language in the world is not Mandarin - it's bad English ;)

I also think if situations occur where the poster has to write in his/hers native language to be understood, we'll just cross that bridge when we get there and help out the best we can..

lin821 likes this.
  9. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fun story, but don't believe everything you hear ;)

10. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    :)
    Its apocryphal, I know, but its the USA that assures the predominance of English. Less apocryphal is the complete abandonment of French as the Langue diplomatique as a result of the decline of Eurpe and the rise in US influence. Similar to the decline of Persian as the labnguage of civilised people in South Asia in the 18th Century. Soon to be butressed by the rise of India -- the worlds second large English speaking country then we will ""reach"", not arrive at our destination --. and ""prepone"", not advance appointments! All to the good in my view

11. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We at MP are lucky to have a friendly neighborhood translation engine located at the lower left of the screen.
    (Push the red [​IMG] button)

12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no problem with threads/posts in another language. What I do have a problem with are posts in SMS style gibberish. :D

13. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree completely.

Freddie Listo, kwai and KENNECTED like this.
  14. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEN 2 that. u kn whatimsayin' ;):p:D

That type of "communication" annoys me to no end!

Freddie Listo, kwai and milchap like this.
  15. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Way cool! Thanks!

16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    While for practical reasons English seems to be the default language of MP, this does not preclude the fact that any travel website wanting to gain international recognition should have procedures/mechanisms to deal with posts in any language.

MP has international members and a scope of threads that overflows beyond national borders. It is truly an agora of travelling members fluent in various different languages and MP should reflect that reality.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/how-many-languages-do-you-speak.2673/

kwai and excelsior like this.
  17. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I had demonstrated before during Beta, that didn't/doesn't work with English-(Traditional) Chinese translation, not every language is created nor translated equal. ;)

What I believe is any online forum, especially an international one, needs to have a "baseline" language, let it be French, Spanish, Chinese, or English, so every and any member can understand, or at least try to, each other without translation. We all know what can be lost in translation, don't we?

The reality is currently English appears to be the common language used on MP. I see nothing wrong to acknowledge English being the default/standard language. However, when needs arise that another less commonly used languages are present on MP, I think it will be a great practice to have the content in both English and the other "chosen" languages by engaged posters. So the "uninvited" participants or observers of such discussion and/or conversation threads are allowed the opportunity to follow the flow in thread. Don't we all want to be inviting & feel invited?

English is not my native language but it is the only language I rely upon to communicate with fellow MPers. I am comfortable using English but I am not as talented in speaking nor fluent in multi-languages as our fellow European or South Eastern Asian MPers. If folks insist having fun and converse only in another language say Italian or Japanese, I'd feel very much excluded and sense a less welcoming or friendly tone from say threads/fora. Yes, I might resort to some online translation tools but I am not capable of telling if that robot translation is any good. I would feel deprived of participation and fun. :( No to mention my personal experience with online translation is hardly any good. Translating only words or phrases might be OK but for a whole sentence or a paragraph, I don't think so.

Speaking for myself, when I have the chance to use Traditional Chinese characters (i.e. my native written language) in post, I always try my best to explain in English what's going on. When opportunities knock, I also deliver some Taiwanese culture and language "lessons." It's my way of sharing my cultural heritages and making my contribution to build content.

Would I insist on composing only in Traditional Chinese on MP or TOBB? No, that thought has never come to my mind. I would think it's quite selfish to use my native language and that language only in any thread on MP or TOBB. In other words, bilingual threads, with English being one of the languages, strengthen the cultural exchange and learning experiences. IMHO, using non-English in the whole thread to make a statement, let it be political or not, or just because one can, is doing nobody a favor other than entertaining the original posters. If I have to find a place for threads of that sort on MP, Off Topic Area (private or not) may be the best I can think of.