Posting Good Fares

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by WilCo, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see a more general format for posting good fares and/or a different forum for each alliance. If I know I'm trying to get status on a particular carrier, then it is helpful to quickly be able to sort through the mileage deals without being distracted by fares on carriers that don't help me out, no matter how good the deal is.

So for example:
    Alliance: Origin-Destination - Fare - cpm - Valid Dates

2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should be stickied.

3. Booked BA the other day

Oneworld-FCO-LHR-EZE-LHR-MIL for 2025 Euro all in Club Class.

With Silver BA Status over 46,000 miles. .04 ish a mile not hugely impressive, but a lot of miles in one whack, and I needed to go to BA for the U2 concert anyway.

BA has many such fares out of Italy.

4. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    nearly all airlines have good fares from MIL. First and Business are there available for the best price in europe. CAI and TUN are cheaper, but more trouble.

Mark.Dragon likes this.
  5. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should this information be posted in the OneWorld Alliance Mileage Run forum?

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:

I created sub-threads within Mileage Runs for the Alliances. But they'll need to made Stickies. I like your format, but if we're going to post within each alliance the airline code would be helpful

7. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of separating the alliances, but I'm not sure about separate threads. I feel like those threads will become unwieldy very quickly. Wouldn't separate sub-forums be more effective?

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree that they could get out of control. would making them stickies help them stay at the top of the forum? I put these out there today just as an idea. But you're right something more permanent may be better.

9. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    I din't think that making them stickes will help. That will just keep them at the top of the forum. Think about how many Oneworld fares could be posted in the matter of a couple months, with people's comments and questions the OW thread would be hundreds of pages long. Yikes!

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you're right, it will become like the US Mint Coins forums at FT....thats why I'm not an IT guy!!

wonder if an auto-delete feature could be put in a thread. maybe delete MR postings after 30 days or something reasonable.

11. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    So now we need to ask for sub-forums for each alliance. Perhaps over to the beta feedback forum we go?

12. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of sub-forums for each alliance. Thoughts on how that would layer in with a sub-forum for premium MRs? One in each alliance or one overall?

Either way I think is a little confusing, but both are better than the monster master threads on FT...

13. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be okay with either sub, sub-forums in each alliance for premium fares or just a sub-forum for all premium fares. IIRC I just read a thread about separate premium fares. Perhaps we should ask there?

14. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure.

15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would prefer to have a single forum since I'm interested in low cost air to some where I want to go.

Unfortunately bookmarked searches appear to be cached and do not update...
    Here is an idea for the alliance based folks - could you just bookmark a search for your preferred alliance airport - i.e. oneworld FCO?
    http://milepoint.com/forums/search/3087/?q=oneworld+fco&o=date
    (I see a number in the URL so I don't know if that will autoupdate or not. I'll update the post once I see if this post is added.)

magic111 and Sarah like this.
  16. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just familiarized myself with the MR forum structure and have a few comments:

- it's all MR centric: I have non-MR fares which are worth posting. Where should they go?
    - one thread per alliance: Where should the per-deal discussion go? I'd love to see one forum (or one per alliance) where I could create one thread per deal with the common thread title. All discussions should be inside that particular thread. That single thread could be closed - if it should be needed at some point.

I could create some original content based on deals that I've found and we can move them around to see what it looks like. Unfortunately I'm not even sure where to put them right now ;-)

magic111, joesmoe, dkl and 1 other person like this.
  17. I'm also in favor of facilitating non-MR posts as well-anything that is cheap and interesting is worthwhile to me, although I know my goals are probably different from most members here.

magic111, Gnopps and joesmoe like this.
  18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the short term, neither sub-forums or stickies are available.

I encourage you to post your support for those requests on the beta feedback forum (use search to find those threads rather than starting new ones, a request with many supporters will have more impact than many scattered requests).

joesmoe likes this.
  19. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Already done on Saturday here. :)

joesmoe likes this.
  20. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You did indeed (and the right thread, too) -- let's hope others on this forum do the same.

joesmoe likes this.
  21. I would prefer the good fares to be posted twice. One in a sticky containing only fares, and one separate thread for all the discussions.

22. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also interested in the good fares and such (even if not necessarily a MR).

magic111 likes this.
  23. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree. It will also be tough to sort out which good fares are still around and which ones are dead. Subforums might be the answer.

joesmoe likes this.