Posting AirTran flight to WN

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I just was asked to fly from SFO to SNA at short notice, and it turns out AirTran is the cheapest carrier on the outbound. Since the man pays for it, I am not going to fly UA just to get 500 PQM. I don't have a lot of WN flights, so collecting those miles isn't really important, but as I don't even have an account with AirTran, I figure I might as well post them to WN. Can I do that, or do I need to create an AirTran account and then transfer them over to WN? The WN site doesn't seem to list their own subsidiary AirTran as an earnings partner.

2. HPN-HRL
    Original Member

HPN-HRL Silver Member

Status Points:
    The current answer: it's complicated!

The only FF program that AirTran posts to is its own A+ Rewards - you need to create your own A+ account to collect (it's easier if you do this before your flight; I'm not sure how long after your flight they will allow you to collect). You will earn 1 A+ credit for your flight (1.5 if you book in business class, but it doesn't sound like you are doing that).

Once you have earned the credit, you can transfer the credit to your Southwest account.

BUT NOTE:

The credit from AirTran posts to Southwest as an "old school" Rapid Rewards 1.0 credit - you do not earn the new-fangled RR 2.0 points when crediting from AirTran. In order to make use of your single credit, you will need to earn/create 15 more of these credits to earn an old-style award (= two one-way awards which theoretically are good between any two Southwest cities but are capacity controlled). To do this, you either need to fly more flights on AirTran or earn enough new-style RR 2.0 points and convert them from RR 2.0 points to RR 1.0 credits. The remaining credits will cost 18,000 RR 2.0 points (15 times 1200 per credit). You can earn RR 2.0 points via flying Southwest, using their travel and other partners, or transfer points from anyone's Chase Sapphire UR point balance.

Let me know if you have any questions...

HaveMilesWillTravel and Mikus33 like this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, what this post is basically saying - That 1 A+ credit will be worthless, unless you have enough WN points to double convert. You cannot earn old school WN credits anymore when flying WN, and you need at LEAST 8 of those points to generate a one-way old school award, which is subject to availability, unlike the new system of using any available flight. If you're not going to fly 7 more times on AirTran, then you need to acquire 8,400 points on WN. Then convert those into AirTran A+ credits. 8,400 WN points = 7 A+ credits+ the 1 you earned = 8 credits. Then reverse transfer (I did this, so it is possible) those 8 credits BACK to WN, and you will get an old school one way award.

In other words, the UA miles might sound a little nicer now.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, well, since I didn't pay for the trip, I didn't feel it was appropriate to choose UA for 1000 RDM and 500 PQM and have my employer pay twice the fare.

Looks like WN is really not interested in letting those with small balances get any value out of their accounts. I don't think I'll fly enough on WN over the next year to make any of this worthwhile.

Thanks everyone!

5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they made the program significantly less attractive by going to the revenue-based model. They are really trying to expire all of the small A+ balances out there from a risk management standpoint. The positive of the new WN model is that the points never expire - but you have to fly on WN metal to earn those points (not discounting the other non-flying earning methods), not AirTran. Unless you're a frequent AirTran customer at the moment or nearing the 8 or 16 credit mark for the free flight(s), flying with them gains very little outside of the low fare.

I'm almost certain that anyone who doesn't have enough A+ credits to earn an award will lose all of those credits when the merger is complete, because they would really piss people off if they converted customer A+ credit into WN points at final conversion when they aren't allowing it now.

I would end up doing the same thing as you if my company were paying (I had to fly DL SAN-ATL-MCO last week, and I have no intention of flying them often at all), but it burns a little knowing that you're taking a trip that doesn't earn anything.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    is it possible to earn it ad donate the credit to charity?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hard to believe, but Airtran actually mailed me a welcome package with a plastic membership card.