Postcard Request For First Grade Class Project

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Canarsie, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    A Delta Air Lines employee who has been helpful to FlyerTalk in the past — I know, this is milepoint.com, but we are all in this frequent flying travel community together — sent to me an e-mail message that there is a competition at Clemson Elementary School as to which class in the first grade can receive the most postcards from the furthest reaches of our planet, and he is requesting for milepoint.com members to assist. The postcards should have either the name of the place, a picture of something recognizable, or both; and they should please mention the name Wyatt — one of the students in the class in the first grade which this Delta Air Lines employee knows well — in the postcard.

The postcards should be addressed to:

Address removed upon request as of Monday, March 25, 2013 — please do not send any more postcards. Thank you for your efforts!

I am uncertain at this time as to what is the deadline and what the class with the most international postcards will win, but if you happen to be somewhere outside of the United States, please take a moment to grab a postcard and mail it to the address above.

Thank you in advance.

2. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Canarsie! Does it matter if stamp & postcard don't match? I've got bushels of postcards stashed here, there & everywhere from around the world but would it be kosher if I sent one overseas card from Canada?

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    That should be fine.

It will still count as the postcard being from that country, although the stamp being from a different country does not count as its own entry.

Thank you, tcook052!

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot see Wyatt not dominating this. I'll definitely participate if I get the chance.

5. Skypath

Skypath Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was referred to this thread thanks to FriendlySkies. :) Sending postcards is my addiction whenever I travel so I'd be glad to participate! Unfortunately I don't have any int'l travel planned soon but have recruited those in my postcard mailing list to help out! How long is the school-wide contest going to last?

6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not in the least suggesting that this request is anything off, but as a general rule, I try to contact the recipient to verify the desire to receive postcards or whatever. There have been a number of Internet hoaxes (some of which started out as true but ran their course, didn't end, and became a hoax). Hospitals, schools, private people overrun with cards or other effluvia sent by well-meaning people who didn't bother to check first. (One of whom was the president of my division at work.)

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should last the entire school year, from what I understand.
    I completely understand.

However, I trust the source of the request and would not have posted it otherwise.

anabolism, Paolo Scuri and tcook052 like this.
  8. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    After informing the employee of Delta Air Lines of the commitments for postcards from Hawaii, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, England, Australia and the Netherlands, with possible postcards from Argentina, I received an e-mail message from him this morning that he “couldn’t be any happier.”

Thank you, everyone!

miles and smiles and anabolism like this.
  9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't in any way suggesting that this request wasn't completely valid. I hope I didn't give the impression that I was.

Glad it worked out well.