Post your worst miles/points redemption

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, Apr 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you've been guilty of this, maybe not. Every so often you hear of someone that's cashed in their miles for a domestic ticket using 25,000 miles. The bloggers would have you believe that we all use our miles smartly to cash in for first or business class tickets. ;)

When we've used our domestic ticket awards in the past, it was always transcon on a real jet.
    Earlier this week, I cashed in my miles to fly from NYC to Savannah. After checking the various programs that I have miles in, all I was able to book was a 1 stop. My wife insisted on a non-stop. New York area flyers know that they only non-stop to Savannah is on UA and it's on a ERJ-145. :rolleyes:

She's happy today. Not sure how happy she'll be after our first leg. :D

50,000 miles to fly on a regional jet. :eek: Should I turn in my membership to this website?

Please post your redemption mishaps.

SC Flier, wrxmom, 2soonold and 5 others like this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points.com redemption of some stray US miles for cash. Yeah, that was a bad one, but I don't accumulate them very quickly and I was moving out of US as a program. So it was bad value, but the best option I had available, if that makes sense.

Mapsmith, 2soonold and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After UA went bankrupt in 2002 I was in a rush to burn off 800,000 miles, not knowing what the future would hold. I sent relatives off to Maui and Australia, but I had to settle for a standard coach award to Indianapolis for a swimming event. Think that was 40,000 miles in coach and has to be the worst value of any award I've redeemed.

My best awards? Two One World awards I've done in business combining stops in Asia and Australia. Those were around 150,000 miles each and would be more now due to changes in routing rules (SFO-DFW-YVR-HKG-SIN, which I started off with on one of those on the way to Australia, used to count just the miles from SFO-SIN, but now the miles for each of those flights count, so much more costly).

2soonold, sobore and alohastephen like this.
  4. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are two that come to mind 10,000 miles for IAH-ICT and 25,000 miles for ICT-ORD-DCA. This was back when Chase was offering 25,000 miles for opening a checking account every six months and Continental /United started their partnership.

2soonold and alohastephen like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think my worst was Hyatt points transfer to AA thru Points.com for the 20/20 promotion for the 20th anniversary of AAdvantage.

2soonold likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think my worst redemption is any domestic economy award :p

2soonold and desamo like this.
  7. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine was spending 37.5k miles on a RT domestic Award trip on DL from BDL-LAX.

desamo and 2soonold like this.
  8. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, 25000 UA miles for IAD-CRW r/t. Would have cost me $650 if purchased, but the round trip was all of 454 miles. I've spent as many miles to go to ANC r/t, well over 7000 miles.

perryplatypus, desamo and 2soonold like this.
  9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    25,000 US miles for LAS-SEA (bracketed by a WN and AS trip to get me to LAS and home from LAS- so it was redeemed as part of two trips to Vegas).

This was before I knew about US *A program. I was SO HAPPY I could finally redeem US miles- their domestic inventory to LAS was nearly impossible to find.

10. ZZZ

ZZZ Active Member

Status Points:
    25,000 miles on United for DCA-ORD-DCA. I had to go to a funeral, and for whatever reason, even the last-minute bereavement fare was astronomical. So I tossed miles at the problem and went to pay my respects.

11. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe I take the cake. I sent 40,000 points over to SPG from amex for 1 night after the then 2-1 conversion and bought another 2 nights at an ok hotel with the leftover points...I found out today that I couldve sent the 75,000 points to aeroplane and used them on any star alliance member for RT ticket to europe so....ya yea I suck.

perryplatypus, desamo and 2soonold like this.
  12. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh ... I probably haven't made my worst one yet.:D

desamo likes this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of short distances, I'm about to redeem for a ZRH-LUX rt. It's only 184 miles (300 km), but the fares are over $900. :eek: So this is a case where distance isn't -- and shouldn't be -- the primary factor in a redemption.

Mapsmith and perryplatypus like this.
  14. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take the train?

Mapsmith likes this.
  15. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    184 miles, definitely train it. If you're on a budget and like to be adventurous, ever think about hitch hiking it:)

16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Train takes five hours one way (once a day) and I'm only in Zurich for a day and a half. The plane's the only way to make it happen.