Post your good deed (travel related)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I flew SFO/CLE earlier in the week. We were in coach (E+) on UA.
    There was a mother and baby across the aisle and a row forward. Mom brought her baby and car seat (window), and she sat in the middle as to not disturb the aisle passenger.

When we landed, everyone stood up. That's when I figured out the man in the aisle seat next to her wasn't her husband. As I'm pondering this fact, I saw her get a backpack. I realized that she'd never be able to manage the baby, the car seat, and the backpack.

Everyone is standing around watching this go down. :rolleyes: I said to my wife Ask her if she needs help.
    She thanked my wife and said that would be wonderful. I took the car seat and my wife took the backpack. She told us her husband was meeting her at the gate.

That's my good deed. What about yours?

miles and smiles and pcarol like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Owning a map shop, I am amazed at the number of times that I get asked for directions in a strange city that I am visiting for the first time! None the less, I will politely help out any who asks and have even walked with them to the site they are looking for.

miles and smiles and pcarol like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another thing that I do on a regular basis that is somewhat travel oriented since I will offer it anywhere.

My mother is frail. And I know how to offer an elbow to a senior citizen. Whenever I see someone who appears to be having trouble walking, I will offer the elbow or to go get a cart for them. Acceptance rate is somewhere around 80%.

Heck I may need that help in the future.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I nearly always pro-actively offer to move seats (on plane or train) so families can sit together.

On Metro-North, it ticks me off to no end to see grown men sitting while young kids are standing.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the flip side of good deeds, I have once or twice given blatantly wrong directions to people in NYC. ;)

boondr likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once asked a woman seated across the aisle with a toddler if she needed help getting her (heavy) bag down from the overhead. She snipped at me and said she could do it herself.

I then went to the lounge and got a beer.

Sorry, what is this thread about?

MX, guberif, _kurt and 1 other person like this.
  7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what you get for being nice. :D

daemon14 likes this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am rather conflicted about this thread myself. If it's about exchanging ideas on how to make a more civil society, there might be some value to it. But trying to convince yourself and others how good you are just seems to be in poor taste. Remember that a really "good deed" should be defined by a recipient of an action, not a giver. So I may be less conflicted if I read accounts of how others made our lives better, and learn from those experiences.

violist likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone is trying to convince themselves or others of anything here ... it was the spirit of the thread creation that is important ...IMHO

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    M7VO,

There are some people that need an excuse to do something good. If by posting a good deed generates another, then it's worthwhile. My post wasn't meant as a pat on the back atta boy thread. It's meant to encourage other readers to make a difference when we travel.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you will continue to travel with this attitude, and not expect a pat on the back.
    Don't be discouraged that good deeds don't go unpunished either. :D