Post your AS & QX Route Requests

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by beckoa, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS seems to keep expanding which makes most of us happy. They do sacrifice routes once in a while, but more often then not add new ones, especially to Hawaii lately. Where else do you want to see the Eskimo fly... or the mini-me QX turboprops. They also have the new 739ER order, which although won't have longer range then the 738, should have a lower CASM, and might become ETOPS.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more Alaska to Hawaii service-the 49-50th state interconnect. ANC-HNL works ok, but is not my preferred destination, I'd like to see KOA or LIH service. Daily ANC-HNL in the summer IMO is overkill.

What do you think?

2. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like a midcon and east coast hub with really flexible routing rules so as to be able to ping-pong around the country and rack up the miles on super-low-CPM fares. ;)

In all seriousness, since my destinations are chosen by the fares and not the other way around, my answer is, "Wherever they'll offer low fares to." If they open up service to MCI but it's $600rt from ANC, then it doesn't matter to me that they've opened up service to MCI, despite it having the world's best barbecue*. But if they open up service to OMA and throw out a fare of $350rt from ANC, I'll be on the next plane to OMA (although because OMA isn't a particularly interesting place, I'll likely be in a car headed for MCI for barbecue ;)).

*Them's fightin' words, I know...but work with me, here, for the purposes of this illustration. :p

3. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    deja vu!

Mini-me to MRY

4. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAX-SJO would be great. I'd really like to see AS push into Central America beyond Mexico. I'm curious about their reasoning as to why they haven't done so to date. (It's not distance, since LAX-SJO is almost exactly the same as SEA-MIA.) If LAX-SJO works, LAX-LIR would be a logical addition.

I'd like to see more transcons. I could argue against SEA-PHL, since it's not too bad of a drive from EWR, but SEA-PIT would be good, as AS doesn't go anywhere near there. RDU has a beautiful new terminal and seems to be on the upswing as a DL focus city, so SEA-RDU would be good (though I imagine the numbers are too low to justify it). With the DL-NW merger, I could see synergies in SEA-DTW.

And as part of the AS-DL marketing agreement, has AS simply ceded SEA-SLC to DL?

5. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    And HA would never enter the market, I doubt the LFs on any Alaska-Hawaii route would allow for the 767...although a Pulani among snow covered Chesters would be quite something :) (Ok, ok I know HA serves SEA-HNL but still)
    I share a similar sentiment as beckoa,moar SAN-Hawaii flying...I love SAN-OGG and I would like to see SAN-KOA or even SAN-LIH, unfortunately SAN-HNL is out of the question :(
    I would like to see QX do moar intra-CA flying but VX and WN put up real fights and push come to shove, if I can pick up $90 MCSes LAX/SAN-SFO...QX is going to have to work hard for my dollars.

6. fooko2002
    Original Member

fooko2002 Active Member

Status Points:
    I think that consolidated marketing efforts will make intra-CA routes more plausible in the future. Many times in the past QX was trying to penetrate the Bay area or the LA area. The positioning of the HI flying will provide a good base market and coupled with the consolidated marketing, these intra-state routes will be more viable in the future.

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't agree. AS has recently shown us that it will not allow time to nurture a new market. It either makes $ right away, or it is cut faster than a mohel does his job (although I will admit that the routes usually last more than 8 days after birth). And given what will likely be wildly fluctuating fuel prices for the foreseeable future, the benchmark lowest anticipated fuel price for profitability on a particular route has likely gone way up. No one is going to rush to buy extra aircraft for testing out new routes. If we see anything, it will be Alaska (*operated by Rent-a-Plane). A couple years ago I was fairly optimistic that QX was going to provide many smaller city/secondary airport options within California. Now, QX is a nearly non-existent shadow of its former proud self. I'm not opining on whether this is a wise business decision.

It is what it is, and I wonder what an airline is thinking when it installs internet service nearly fleet-wide with a system that does not work overwater on the eve of sending nearly half its capacity to Hawaii. If they start a new market that "excites"me, I may use it, but I can't say I'd want to rely on it for the long term.

jackal likes this.
  8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is turning into Alaska/Seattle/Hawaii Airlines. [​IMG]

9. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm leaning more towards Bay's opinion , and frankly, QX doesn't and can't fight WN or VX in CA...they're doing the right thing from a business perspective. VX's hard product is miles above QX's(and even mainline) to the point that I would gladly pay the fare difference...the mood lighting makes all the difference[​IMG]! And WN is basically California's airline at this rate, and with their invasion armada of planes, any effort by QX/AS to encroach on WN territory will be swiftly quashed
    oh and http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/aircell-releases-gogo-tech-roadmap-ev-do-rev-b-in-2012-global/

10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's because Row44 might outfit WN's entire fleet sometime before the end of time. Maybe.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/it-is-official-wi-fi-is-on-the-way

"early 2012"

And then, 6 months later...

http://www.tnooz.com/2010/07/29/mobile/southwest-airlines-fleetwide-wi-fi-wont-come-until-2013/

'But, today Kelly said the certification process has been taking longer than expected and the airline is looking at the “2013 timeframe” to complete the process.'

It looks like WN has their own version of AS's "we're going to roll out DL elite reciprocity during 2009 in the first half of 2010 late 2010" going on. Add to that the fact that Aircell is going to roll out faster speeds AND satellite before too long, and, well, it's pretty obvious AS made the right choice here. Shipping is a product feature.

Anyways, for a route request: SEA-PHL, plzkthx. I have people to visit on the Jersey Shore (note, they aren't people of orange color, like our Speaker of the House, but they are closer to PHL than EWR). I would rather not fly US or connect at O'Hare through AA (though I suppose I could beat some online engine into submission to give me a AS/DL itinerary connecting at MSP or DTW).

11. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well those routings do fit me well... guess I can be one to blame as I haven't taken QX outside of WA and OR.

12. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSP-PDX, MSP-ANC, MKE-SEA, and some sort of schedule rejigging to make MSP-XXX-GDL a valid award routing.

13. fooko2002
    Original Member

fooko2002 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping that AS will codeshare the new AUS-CUN flights on DL.

14. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I think it will works out very well. How about AS can start new nonstop SEA-FLL/IAG/PBG/PSM or MHT.

15. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I am happy that AS is doing well on leisure routes [Hawaii/Mexico], but it seems like they are more interested in leisure routes with high seasonality demand fluctuations than stable profitable routes filled with people traveling for work. Remember, AS said those routes are "not as profitable" which means many [not all] routes they pulled out to free up capacity for Hawaii flying was profitable, but just not as profitable.

I wonder what will AS do when the next bubble bursts causing the Hawaii/Mexico tourism market to tank? Particularly when AS does not have a big loyal business traveler customer base that brings consistent stream of $$$. DL/AA/US/UA all can easily survive if the tourism market goes belly up, since they have plenty of routes that are not a cash cow, but brings consistent profit levels from business travelers... Does that make AS more exposed to economic meltdowns or skyrocketing unemployment since they are more dependent on people/tourists who have money to burn?

Do AS even have major corporate contracts [Forbes 500 company] where they are the primary carrier for those companies? Not interested in discussing GSA contracts since those are route specific...

I am not bashing or criticizing anyone, just the analytical side of me is curious :D

jackal likes this.
  16. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be shocked if they don't... SEA-AUS-CUN is almost as direct as the nonstop flight...

17. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about AS will plans to starts new nonstop SEA-RDU/FLL/JAX/TPA/RSW?