Post United.com Technical Problems & Possible Solutions

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chitownflyer, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be good to have a master thread for those experiencing technical problems using the United.com website. Please post what issues you have on the site, and other members can then try and respond with solutions and workarounds, if they are possible.

2. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I mentioned in another thread that United has enhanced award bookings and also enhanced their website for redeeming award travel. The problem with the "enhanced" award website is that it no longer allows a simple search of saver and standard awards, but it instead lists a massive hodegpodge of combined saver & standard awards that do not even allow a proper sorting out by non-stop flights, times, etc. even when you specify these in the search criteria. To search for NC or NF upgrade inventory, the hover over with the mouse method is lost, and one has to click on the flight details which is more time consuming.

The temprary solution to this issue is to use one of the worldwide sites such as United UK or United Canada which still have the old award search engine available. I hope United either fixes its own US award site or at least keeps some of the worldwide sites with the old engines; otherwise, people will waste a massive amount of time to accomplish the bookings and obtain the information that they previously did.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So many problem so few solutions. I've been searching for a particular flight from jfk to sfo for an award, live agent tells me revenue is still being sold - the website search tells me (all on different searches)
    1 there are no non stop flights available - for revenue (including flights that are wide open)
    2 the flight I want is listed for 3k and many others listed
    3 flight is available for standard award, but when try to book for money - it no longer shows up grrrrrr

So how can UA expect to make money when expensive available flights don't even show up on ua.bomb for booking? Of course this makes my chances of award better (since people who give up easily won't know the flight exists) but still...............

4. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought the simple solution to this is to display the NF and NC availability on the regular (non-award) booking pages - after all, that's where the information is useful for everyone who's not a GS.

5. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My biggest beef with the site is as follows:
    When I want to buy a flight with W or higher fare, for a SWU to work, and I click on Upgrade with Region 2, it often returns fares in the wrong booking class. There is a top line warning that not all flights are eligible and then some flights there is a line saying Upgrades may be eligible for this flight.

However, when I choose a flight and check its fare class, I find the following:
    • Flights in S class, when W is available, but I can't force it to show W and
    • flights in W class when the indicator has suggested that the flight is not eligible for upgrade.
    I don't know what the technical solution would be here, other than having an option to book by fare class, but it drives me nuts that I have to spend significant time on the phone carrying out my booking research because .bomb does not do what it has been programmed to do.

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

This is one virtue of the CO site, as it has a box that allows you to enter the specific fare booking class( B, H, W, etc.), but the UA site is much more advanced overall, so I would like to see it be kept and worked properly for the two merged companies.