Post-Sandy EWR Ops

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Oct 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR has power again and the crews are working on getting the airport into operational state. From what I'm hearing the UA plan is to fly. In the planes and spare crew - in-flight and ground/gate - on Wednesday and operate almost no outbound flights on Wednesday but ramp up from there. Something like 50%on Thursday and more as planes/people get back into position.

Similar for JFK. LGA is a crap-shoot based on whether they need 737s or Mallards for service. :oops:

Good luck for those due out in the next couple days.

2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better a guppy or a duck than an albatross ;)

3. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just had flights going into LGA and EWR tomorrow cancelled.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I laughed, but now I feel guilty about it. Hope they're able to get it back going soon.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    LGA may need the old PA flying boats. Being from MSY i understand the pain in bringing back service after a hit like this.

hulagrrl210 and downhillcrasher like this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread makes me extra glad that I changed my ORD-EWR-SJO to ORD-IAH-SJO last night. The 5:44 AM departure may be painful, but not as painful as sitting somewhere on Thursday with no way to go home at all.

Whew!

7. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to CNN in a somewhat contradictory story, flights at EWR will be resumed on a limited basis on Wednesday.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somehow my uncle who's currently in BOG says UA confirmed him for tomorrow into EWR. My sister is currently in EZE and supposedly will be coming in tomorrow or the day after, so it does look like they're trying to bring the planes back in and start ramping up.

As per the FAA, only LGA and TEB are still listed as unknown. ISP is supposed to open at 5:30, EWR at 7:00 and JFK at noon.

9. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Marine Air Terminal is still there, so why not? ;)

Flyer1976 and estnet like this.
  10. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any stats available for how UA's doing today, yesterday, etc, from a cancellation perspective? How tomorrow's OPs will be? Just curious.

11. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made it out of EWR yesterday (10/31) after having my flights cancelled twice over the previous days. I was heading to SIN via NRT and ended up getting rebooked through HKG. I also saw the PEK and PVG flights leaving, albeit late. According to the agents, most domestic flights were cancelled on that day. Not sure about the days after.

12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am writing from my home in Costa Rica tonight. Not sure from where I might be writing (if at all) had I not changed my routing. That 5:44 AM flight was a drag, but I slept all the way from ORD to IAH and again from IAH to SJO, so frankly, outside of the fewer miles I received, I feel pretty good!

From a personal perspective, what is NOT good is the absolute kabozh the storm has put on this week's business. I'm getting kind of worried about how long this might last. It could be worse, however. My thoughts and prayers are with those who lost family members, homes, businesses, etc.

13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made the obligatory call in order to attempt to get the mileage for the originally booked flight. The agent told me that she could request it, but that to do so she would have to deduct the currently credited miles for the actual route flown. She added that if they denied the request, I could not get the actual route flown mileage back as part of the terms and conditions of the program.

I don't have the time or energy to fight with them over this, so I told her to leave it alone. It's disappointing, however, that such a policy could exist in their T&C in the first place. Why in the world should I be punished for asking for something I paid for? How could they justify giving me no credit just because I ask for the credit for the route I originally booked? More importantly, they seem to be purposely making it difficult for us to do anything other than buy tickets.

Just when I thought they were improving....

unavaca and adambadam like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Such a policy doesn't exist. You got an agent who is either grossly misinformed or who otherwise delights in causing trouble for passengers.