Post Redemption Anxiety – was it worth it?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by OceanTrotter3, Jul 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have recently redeemed my first international premium cabin on a Delta RT flight from IND-PVG. As I had time constraint to get in/out of the country, I did not utilize any possible stopover/open-jaw.

The cost of redemption was for 140k from IND-JFK-NRT-PVG-DTW-IND. Now that I've redeemed it, I'm wondering if it was worth it?

Seeing the blogger Lucky utilizing 90k US Airway miles on such an extended trip adds to that... doubt.

daninstl and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only you will be able to adequately make that call, but one way to look at it is would you prefer to have bought that ticket with money or use miles. If your answer is you'd rather not spend the money than I'd say it was worth it to have redeemed the points!

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone values their points differently but pat yourself on the back for booking a Saver level award space using DL miles.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was the trip you wanted to book and you got it at the low redemption rate then I'd say it is a good deal. Just because others book differently doesn't mean theirs is better than yours.

5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always consider it an accomplishment to get a US-Asia premium ticket in low using DL miles. Don't over analyze it.

Sure, I've gotten intl F awards to Asia for less than DL charges for C, using US miles, but it's all good. I always try and redeem DL miles first, but usually have the least amount of success.

daninstl and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  6. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, this make me feel more settled. :)

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you should be. :)

8. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky was booking before the 90K on US Airways was raised to 110K. You booked your trip with 140K, which is the best you could do with SkyPesos. 140K SkyPesos vs. 110K or 90K on US is just another metric of the lesser value of Delta's frequent flier program.

You couldn't do any stop-overs due to time constraints for the overall trip.

So you're going to China - if you wanted to go to China, and are going when you wanted to go, you've done very well. :) Relax and enjoy the trip! :cool:

David

daninstl and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  9. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks, David!

It still amaze me the extensiveness of his trip planning. Seems like I still have a loooong way to go. :)

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming that all segments are confirmed in BE or FC, you did very well to redeem this in low. You have the 747 on JFK-NRT and the later departure out of PVG on a 777. These are my favorite aircraft in BE, although the redone A330s aren't bad either.

11. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Yes, they do appear to be confirmed on delta.com. :)

12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't feel bad. You did well. I know there is always a feeling that you are leaving something on the table when you redeem like that but don't let it get to you. Be excited about the trip. It would be like paying cash and then wondering if you could have saved 5% more or something. Don't sweat it.
    Last year my wife and I had a trip to Hong Kong in business from redeemed US air miles 180k for both of us in business on ANA and we looked forward to it all year. We had something come up and had to cancel it. It was disappointing but we did get the miles back. We moved on and have trips set up for Miami and Paris coming up soon. We just started talking about what we should book next.

The motto should be just do the best you can and enjoy trying to figure out the best use of the miles. Some might hate it but I enjoy the planning the most.

13. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Will do! :D

14. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm having slightly different buyer's remorse... I just booked some cheapo JetBlue BOS-AUS $108 r/t tickets which would have been foolish to pass up... but I was meaning to redeem the last of my 25k DL miles for the same trip NYC-AUS

Now I'm worried if I don't use the DL miles before they change to their new spend based program, I might really lose out :) And I know it's foolish to do that.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL isn't changing the redemption to be spend-based. Yet.

daninstl likes this.
  16. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you managed to get all of the domestic segments in FC, you did extremely well. :):):):):) And I emphasize extremely well.

When I research HSV-SYD-AKL, it's way easier to get BE from LAX to SYD than to get FC from HSV to LAX. :eek: On the rare days that HSV-LAX is available in FC, it's either too late in the day, or it's a 3 hopper. You can only have 4 legs on an international trip, so 3 hops to LAX kills it. Heck, there are lots of days when HSV-LAX is not even available in coach at the low level.

Many bloggers note that it is much easier to book a Delta international flight from a gateway city with Skymiles than it is to get the flights to the gateway city. That has been my experience.

Again, nicely done!

David

17. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Yes, it would appears so. The outboard ones had more Saver's option, while the inbound (returning to the States) were fairly limit. I was lucky that it coincides with the dates I needed to travel!

18. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    If I'm not mistaken, it might just be the redeemable miles that you earn in Skymiles 2015 that's changed (referencing Delta Points here)

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The redemption charts are changing a bit, too, but mostly in adding more tiers and - theoretically - more seats at lower rates. But it is not going to a fixed point/dollar value.

20. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a gamble but from what I've seen so far the miles should be more valuable for awhile until they convert the redemption levels as well.

WilliamQ likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you have the perfect excuse to book a long overnight connection at LAX on an award ticket and enjoy doing something in the LA area or alternatively pick a nice airport hotel and relax around the pool while waiting for your flight.

Alternatively, it caan be worthwhile to just purchase a separate ticket for the domestic connections needed for a great award ticket. This gives you flexibility to add stopovers too.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  22. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I managed to get my trip to AKL/ZQN rebooked for next March. I really want the outbound to be all on one ticket so that Delta has to fix it if something goes wrong.

I did have to settle for an overnight layover in ATL on the way back. :cool:

I think the secret about using DL miles on Virgin Australia is out. There weren't all that many days I would get the long legs LAX to SYD or BNE in Be, and VA didn't have great availability BNE-AKL or ZQN-SYD. Last time I did this, the trans Tasman legs were easy to get. Or it could be that VA is just tired of giving award seats to us DL gamers. :eek:

David