Possible to turn Blue Cash Preferred into MR points?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Jeffrey, Jul 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have about $275 in cash back from my spending on the Blue Cash Preferred card, and that's certainly great, but I'd like 27500 MR points even more. Right now, this is the only Amex card in my wallet, but if I got a Gold card, would it be possible to convert my "cash back" into full MR points, transferable to airlines and such? I assume this isn't the case because I'd imagine I'd hear a lot more chatter about the 6% grocery cashback if it were 6x MR points/$, but I'm hopeful that there's some connection like I've already made with my Chase Freedom/Sapphire combo.

MX and tondoleo like this.
  2. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm interesting. Only thing I see happening is to see if you can ask them what will happen to your cash back if you convert the Blue Cash Preferred to the Blue (if you're willing to part with the Blue Cash Preferred that is). Maybe they will convert the cashback to MR at some ratio? Or maybe give you courtesy MR points for losing the cashback?

If you are able to successfully get the Blue and however MR pts from the conversion, those MR points can then be transferred to travel partners once you get a Green/Gold/Plat card.

The first part is all speculation of course.

3. RPG

RPG Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a Blue Cash (not Preferred) AMEX which I converted to Blue MR. During conversion the Blue Cash back money was lost and I had to ask them to provide the equivalent MR. Blue MR is called MR express program and it is not possible to transfer points to Airline partners or Hotel Partners. But you can pay with points.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if you can transfer between cash and points, but if you can AND you also get a Gold Card, then those points are grandfathered into the better points. My husband had a blue MR card, and the points value sucked compared to my Green or Gold cards (I turned my Green into Gold earlier this year).

Technically, and this isn't obvious to most people, Blue (and all credit cards) are issued by a separate bank than Gold (and all the charge cards). One's American Express Bank, FSB, and the other's American Express Centurian Bank. It used to say which on the cards, but it doesn't now. Anyhow, it's apparently why one can't convert across credit/charge product lines.

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    But if you also get a Gold, then you can transfer to Airline partners or Hotel partners.

Earlier this year, we wanted to use up a hair over 40k MR Express points -- eventually we took it out in Amex gift cards. :rolleyes: Couldn't even get Hyatt gift cards.

6. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hence the
    :)