Possible to get medallion upgrade and credit to another program?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gnopps, Sep 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a GM-card and will be flying DL with a non-status companion. Is it in any way possible to use my gold-card to get upgraded on the flights and still credit the miles to another program?

As I am travelling with a companion we will (if at all) will only be upgraded at the gate, thus making any program changes only right before boarding. From experience I know the agent may not have time for this and may not always succeed.

Any ideas how an upgrade can be accomplished?

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you'd have to have your Delta SM#/GM status in there to get the upgrade...I do not think there's any way to have it credited to another program...I am assuming you're gold with OK?

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you're talking about a DL domestic flight where both of you have paid tickets and are on the same PNR. Realistically, the changes of a GM getting two upgrades aren't very good for many routes and times, so if crediting the miles to another program is important you, you might want to consider changing the FF number early and giving up on the upgrades, although doing this could boot you out of preferred seats, especially if there is a schedule or aircraft change. OTOH, you would probably lose your free checked bags (you and companion, although showing your GM card at check in could help on this or, better yet, if you have a DL AmEx, this would solve that problem.

4. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your answers. We will be travelling wit hand luggage only and already have preferred seating through my other card. However if the upgrades will be hard to come by no point trying and possible mix up the credits.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To assess upgrade chances, it would be helpful to know the route, day of week, time of day, and whether it's around a holiday or not.