Possible to get a gate pass at SFO?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lipman, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lipman

Lipman Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm leaving on my first significant business trip since my now-2-year-old son was born, and thought it would be neat to bring him (and my wife) into the terminal to look around, and to see me off. What do you think the chances are I'd be able to get gate passes for my wife and kid? One thing that might help -- I'm checking in on the business class side, as my first-leg upgrade is already confirmed ...

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say that the official answer is No however it is dependent upon the Agent, what might help you out is if you had an United Club Membership. Good luck though in getting a gate pass at SFO.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  3. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have the club membership or a Presidential Plus card that gets you into the lounge, you can ask for passes for you and your family.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing you won't succeed with the simple pleading, but it's worth a shot. Showing up in a wheelchair and asking for a gate pass for someone to assist you is almost guaranteed to work, but that may not cover the two year old.

There's always the "buy refundable tickets for them" option. It's a pain, and it costs UA some $, but I figure they deserve it for being overly stingy with gate passes. You have the options of checking them in online before you arrive (giving you the option to off-load them online yourself) or checking them in at the kiosk/counter only after the agent has denied them gate passes (making it more of a pain to off-load them later).

TAHKUCT likes this.
  5. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The refundable tickets thing is really n:)t very difficult, particularly if you buy them in advance of arriving at the airport.

6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your wife can do what mine did one time and just break down crying in front of the agent at the ticket counter....that got them to make an "exception" for her (I should add my wife was legitamately crying, but you could always coach yours up for the fake cry and see where it goes!) and gave her the gate pass.

dmel likes this.
  7. Lipman

Lipman Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips! I think I'll give it a try just asking nicely, but will arrive early enough to purchase a refundable ticket in case it comes to that.