Possible prohibition on earning Aeroplan miles on prescriptions filled in Alberta

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tcook052, Nov 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The draft regulations would actually prohibit all points & miles not just Aeroplan being given on prescriptions filled in Alberta but since Rexall is an Aeroplan sponsor in the province thought it worthy of inclusion.

FWIW while I understand the rational being an avid FFP/FFM can't say I support the possible change to regulations.

https://pharmacists.ab.ca/nNewsEvents/default.aspx?id=7604

Inducements: Draft regulatory provision for discussion
    • Pharmacists want to provide good care to their patients.
    • Pharmacists are health professionals and their relationships with patients should be based on the quality of advice and service.
    • Providing inducements in return for professional pharmacy services does not promote professional relationships or good patient care.
    Those are the messages we received loud and clear as we conducted research into inducements (see research highlights). We also recognize the expectation inherent in the fact that 75% of registrants believe it is appropriate for the Alberta College of Pharmacists to pursue a prohibition.

Therefore, we are circulating a draft regulatory provision and inviting your feedback.

All feedback is due at the ACP office by 4:30 p.m. on Mon., Dec. 3.
    To comment on the draft regulatory provision, please email, mail, or fax your comments to:
    Leslie AinslieExecutive Assistant to the Registrar
    Alberta College of Pharmacists
    1100-8215 112 Street NW
    Edmonton, AB T6G 2C8
    Fax – 780-990-0328

Council will consider your feedback and determine next steps at its meeting on December 6, 2012.

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been the case in most other provinces. We've drooled at the healthy bonuses Rexall was offering out there, but neither AE nor Air Miles have been able to do that here in Ontario, nor does Shoppers Drugmart give its Optima points on prescriptions. There have been movements here to have the LCBO stop giving AMs but there'd likely be more of an outcry against stopping than for stopping.

3. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Come get your RX in MB! I see the bonuses... Problem is I don't need any medication!

4. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Refilled a prescription today and was making conversation with the Rexall staffer about this proposed change and they said they hadn't heard a thing about it which I thought a little odd given it's been on the local news and in the Journal not to mention this thread here on MP. ;)

YULtide likes this.
  5. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same thing in Quebec. Here you can't even get points on something as simple as a bottle of Tylenol. It doesn't have to be a prescription medication, all medication is exempt from loyalty bonuses here.

YULtide likes this.
  7. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So even OTC (Over The Counter) purchases are ineligible for loyalty programs? That's pretty draconian IMHO.

FWIW I registered my disapproval with an email to the Alta College of Pharmacists and hope enough other do the same that they might reconsider, though think that's a long-shot at this point.

The biggest peeve is after decades of having these "inducements" in place the college couldn't provide empirical evidence that show having them leads to widespread prescription abuse or misuse yet they used it as a reason in the news stories their members have been quoted in. MHO is it's more an ethical and professional objection and they should argue for the ban on that basis and not point to a few cases and pretend it's a bigger problem than it really is. The public is firmly against ending inducements but sadly can't see enough folks getting up in arms and vocal enough to force the college to back down.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything that is considered medication, regardless of if it requires a prescription or not. I'm sure there are likely other exceptions. I never noticed before as its only recently that I could use Aeroplan at a drugstore near me.