?Possible Changes on Mileage Earning on AC Due to Suspension of US-Canada JV Application?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sean, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should we be expecting any changes to mileage earning based on the suspension of the application for the US-Canada Joint Venture between AC and UA?

see story below:
    http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...r Canada, United Continental Suspend JV Plans

One of the benefits of the TransAtlantic\TransPac JVs was the extension of full mileage accural even on discounted fares for United fliers, as well as elite bonuses:
    http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1180,00.html

Looks like we won't be seeing this Intra-North America anytime soon. Hopefully the board doesn't go further and challenge the existing JVs. I'd really hate to lose the 100% bonus on the YVR-SYD flight!

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't really think this will change anything as we experience it now. AC will continue to be a carrier on which you can earn your elite bonus miles. AC's overseas flight codes are all 100% earning with COS for Exec/ExecFirst fares. Similarly, AE elites will still get their bonus miles when flying CO or UA. I even expect the carriers to rationalize their schedules in spite of the decision. (Like why do both UA and AC depart IAH and DEN within a half hour of each other in the late afternoon, both using RJs? Or almost identical departures between YYZ and CLE/EWR?)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be very foolish to eliminate these elite benefits as I am sure that many wouldn't fly AC as a result.

This article seemed to address USA-Canada flights. I didn't say that it applied to the TATL also. I thought that was a separate, already approved agreement.

I find it quite amusing when the airlines seeking agreements like this say that this is going to improve pricing for consumers...what a joke. This agreement would have resulted in even higher fares from the US to Canada...and the prices now are not exactly cheap. It's kind of nice to see that somebody's govt has consumer interests in mind.